test

What Intel driver do I need for an M17xR3

Ianm63

In order to get online to get the rest of the drivers....I'll be using Killer Wireless but need the Intel or Qualcom driver....can anyone help

DDuB420

What wifi mini card do you have?

OR

jackgarcia7

If you don't know which device you have. Open device manger then look under network adapters. That should tell you what you have. If you see some that have an exclamation mark then driver need to be installed.

DDuB420

You can try a hardware detection utility like "Unknown Device Identifier"
http://m.download.cnet.com/Unknown-Device-Identifier/3000-2086_4-42618.html

If that fails to work, try googling for other programs that do the same thing.

Opening up your m17x might be an option, if the detection software doesn't give you any results.

http://www.alienowners.com/showthre...3-Official-Dell-Service-Manual-**MUST-READ**?

This link has everything you need to know about accessing your internals.
Your mini card is under the keyboard, next to the other RAM slots.

When you find out what you have, I can point you at the right driver.

DarkDragonZA

I have this very neat driver program it's called driver solution pack it's fairly large roughly about 3GB, but can be used on any windows based machine and installs almost all the drivers I've seen some webcams not work because it doesn't detect certain webcams. Nice little program to have.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Ianm63

I got that too....but the fkn thing wont go online via wireless...I'm very pi55ed off with this, after each install I rebooted as per intructions :mad:

yikes81

So it is connecting to the wireless, just no Internet?

Sent via Tapatalk

Ianm63

No it's not....it'll go online via the cable but not wireless

I've been into msconfig and set wwan, wlan ect to "automatic", that's all I know, I dont know what else is wrong....I never had this carry with my last R4

When it's online, it's going through the Atheros card, so it must be working ok, god knows why it wont work via wireless

DDuB420

No it's not....it'll go online via the cable but not wireless

I've been into msconfig and set wwan, wlan ect to "automatic", that's all I know, I dont know what else is wrong....I never had this carry with my last R4

When it's online, it's going through the Atheros card, so it must be working ok, god knows why it wont work via wireless

Your wired and wireless are separate, they use different drivers. Your atheros is built into the mobo . Did you find out what mini card you have? What driver did you try to install?

Ianm63

Mini card - not yet, to scared to take it apart, but it's a Intel that's in it, that's all I know

I installed the driver from the resource dics (Atheros 8151)

Just been to the local shop, he said there's no wireless driver installed that's why it wont connect, and also looked through the resource disc - and there's nothing on it!!, what the hell's that all about!!

He installed Braodcom 802.11n....I can get on the net via wireless now but it's very slow - VERY slow.....so something somewhere's still not right

AeonSoul

Ok please let's cut to the chase. Stop messng around with your drivers before you screw something up to start with.
Go to the start menu, either by clicking or hitting the windows button on your keyboard.
In the box type "device manager" and click on the result that says device manager.
There, expand the section labeled as "Network adapters" by clicking on the arrow on its left side.
Either write here what's listed in there or make a screenshot of it and post it. We will find you te correct drivers once we have that piece of info.

Ianm63

Ok please let's cut to the chase. Stop messng around with your drivers before you screw something up to start with.

Hey...I wasnt "messing" with the drivers, I was installing them in order and what was on the disc!....how the hell was I to know the bloody wireless driver wasnt on a resource discs from Dell!, I'm not as clued up as you!

That's what he did today and when he said there were none installed....he then put in the Broadcom and it connected in the shop, he didnt go on any site though, maybe if he did he'd have saw that it was slow, very slow.

Believe or not I'll read on how to do a screenshot - I'd probably quicker be writing them down

jackgarcia7

Hello friend from the looks of it your still struggling with the drivers. To take a snapshot use the built in windows 7 program "Snipping Tool" it will save what ever image you want. Next the resource CD is not meant for your laptop specifically. Not all the drivers on there refer to your laptop. If you are confused as to which to install go here. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/alienware-m17x-r4. Once there enter your service tag (which is under your laptop) and it will only return the ones applicable to your laptop. It appears to me that you aren't sure what's inside your laptop. So that link will tell you.