What to do with my R2

rets34

I currently have an X51 R2 with:
i5-4430
8GB 1600MHz RAM
1 TB HDD (WD Blue)
GTX 1060 6GB

And I have been looking at upgrading it further because I love the small form factor of it. But I don't know if adding and SSD and upgrading the CPU would be worth it compared to building my own (more questions on that later). Main issue is the RAM, 1600MHz is the max speed supported by this motherboard and I don't know if that would be a big issues after upgrading everything else. I've been looking at going to 16GB since I could use more RAM, but I don't know if the speed will be an issue later on. Now I have been looking at a few things when it comes to building my own PC, but one question is will my current HDD work with a new motherboard and all new components if I do choose to build my own as a new main rig. I know that there is Alienware only software installed that might be tied to the motherboard components itself that might not work with a new build. I'm looking at copying my current install on my HDD to an SSD.
Bottom line: If I do upgrade it, will it all be worth it? Or should I build custom. I would be keeping with mini-ITX.