test

What's the Best Laptop RAM?

DDuB420

No it doesnt, but Corsair Vengeance or Kingston Hyper X would be the only RAM I would use in an Alienware Laptop. Its all personal preference when dealing with the same specs.

jacobberke

Oh ok, thanks. I just ordered the 1 x 8GB Team DDR3 1600MHz Laptop RAM from Newegg can't wait to see the improvement in my machine. Soon imma order another one, but for now im going to put my 2Gb 1600MHz stick with the 8Gb 1600MHz for total of 10GB RAM.

AeonSoul

You might not experience some big improvement if you're not taking advantage of the dual channel.

I have never had any issue with my HyperX stuff. I plan on buying some of the new modules that they recently released....clocked at 2133mhz!!! - NICE!

AeonSoul

Yeah, it does. According to Intel, the 2960xm supports up to 1600 but I've been running 1866 for some time no problem. Seen other running 2133 with no issue either.

Yeah, I've heard of some processors where the max said frequency was like, 1600, and people running with RAMs with higher frequencies no prob, but I don't know, I wouldn't really trust that.

AeonSoul

If I recall correctly, but I might be mistaken, dual channel takes advantage of paired RAM slots and modules.
Let's say, you have 4 RAM slots, the paired RAM slots would be slot #1 with slot #3 and slot #2 with slot #4, so to take advantage of dual channel you have to put 2 same RAM modules in the paired slots, e.g. slot #1 & #3. That's how dual channel should work, or at least that's how it should be in desktops.

yikes81

I'm not sure I the slots are fixed anymore. But they will be coloured the same. Well the are in desktops anyway.

Sent via Tapatalk

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
The fastest ram is the kingston Hyper-X 2133mhz, it's a bit overkill and Clevo's don't like it, but I believe MSI and alienware can run 2 sticks at stock speeds, but struggle a little with 4.

Dual channel does interleave data like a hard drive raid array, you can stack mutliple dimms on each channel, but you only get a bandwidth increase equal to the number of channels the chipset supports.

For example: Z77 = 2, X59 = 3, X79 = 4.

You need to run 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to get dual channel, though they are usually paired like that in notebooks so that 1 and 3 (as the chipset) are together.