Which 1060 should I get for an R2?

zsark95

Mar 1, 2018
Basically what the title says, I'm looking for a GTX 1060 6GB, (I know at the worst possible time) and I've read online a card that is 10.5 inches long can fit into the R2 as long as you take the tiny front fan off. Currently I'm looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/Geforce-Turb...0+6gb+blower#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-...d=1519949126&sr=8-1&keywords=pny+gtx+1060+6gb

However I've also seen smaller ones like EVGA for example but I've also seen it recommended that when doing this upgrade a blower style cooling system is ideal. The power usage on these cards (120w) is less than the 760 I have so I'm not worried about that, I just want to make sure what I get A: will fit into my x51r2 and B: will run cool enough and not melt my computer.

I have a
Intel i7-4770
GTX760
8GB of RAM (upgrading to 16 at the same time as my gpu)
Power Block is 330W
Thanks for the help and let me know if more specs would help with this.
Also, what kind of a performance difference should I be looking at going from what I have to the 1060 and 16gb of Ram?

Jan 23, 2018
Hey mate, my x51 currently has a gtx 1060 3gb and it's the single fan inno3d edition. I currently run I5 4430, 8gb ram, ssd also. Cpu goes to about 60 something degrees and the gpu goes max to about 83 degrees. I can get it running to about 78/79 with custom fan curve. Performance, I must say is real good and not that far away from my main rig which is a I5 6600, gtx 1070.

The alienware runs all games absolutely fine and I'm mightily impressed. Make sure you defo have the 330w psu as I had a biff moment and was using a 240w and wondered why the comp kept shutting off while gaming. All in all should be fine but I also didn't have to remove the front fan or anything like that.

zsark95

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks guys that helps a lot! Any idea how big the performance difference is between a 3gb and 6gb 1060? Also, I'm taking it that the top one I was looking at Is the one that would be best for and fit in my system? Thanks again guys. P.S. GunnerKes what kind of games do you run on the alienware? I'm mainly looking for something that will make playing PUBG and Kingdome Come: Deliverance etc without getting massive fps drops and wanting to kill myself lol. I also don't have an ssd, but I've heard they help a lot.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2016
Thanks guys that helps a lot! Any idea how big the performance difference is between a 3gb and 6gb 1060? Also, I'm taking it that the top one I was looking at Is the one that would be best for and fit in my system? Thanks again guys. P.S. GunnerKes what kind of games do you run on the alienware? I'm mainly looking for something that will make playing PUBG and Kingdome Come: Deliverance etc without getting massive fps drops and wanting to kill myself lol. I also don't have an ssd, but I've heard they help a lot.
Performance between the 3gb and 6gb isn’t too significant. Get the 6gb if you want to future proof your rig.

Also, you will have to removed the front exhaust fan and the bottom faceplate tab to make the 10.5” GPU fit.

zsark95

Mar 1, 2018
Alright yea I'm planning on this being a backup for me later on when I build a better pc so I'll stick with the 6gb. So I know the little exhaust fan but I've only done like cleaning the dust out of my pc, what's the faceplate tab? Am I gonna need more than a regular screwdriver to get those things off? Been a little while since I looked inside my pc. Thanks!