Which GTX 1060?

drysideshooter

I have a 15 R3 with a 6gb GTX 1060. I am considering purchasing an Oculus Quest. The Quest can be plugged into a computer with a compatible GPU. It is compatible with a desktop GTX 1060 but not a GTX 1060m. Which 1060 does my 15 R3 have in it? I thought Alienware used some desktop GPU's in some laptops, but am unsure. If needed, I can get a Graphics Amplifier and a new card.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MattyB

They dropped the M from the mobile versions of the GPU's after the 900 series. While they say it is a desktop GPU they are still considered mobile chips by most people and they are even ranked separately from the desktop cards at videocardbenchmark.net. The card will have (mobile) after the model so people can tell which one is which.
I don't know why it wouldn't be compatible though as they should only be slightly downgraded versions of the desktop chip rather than a completely different chip. I can't say for certain though.
You'd be better off with an Amplifier with a 1080 or RTX card.

drysideshooter

They dropped the M from the mobile versions of the GPU's after the 900 series. While they say it is a desktop GPU they are still considered mobile chips by most people and they are even ranked separately from the desktop cards at videocardbenchmark.net. The card will have (mobile) after the model so people can tell which one is which.
I don't know why it wouldn't be compatible though as they should only be slightly downgraded versions of the desktop chip rather than a completely different chip. I can't say for certain though.
You'd be better off with an Amplifier with a 1080 or RTX card.

Thanks MattyB, I genuinely appreciate the help. I'm thinking the amplifier is a great idea. I like that I could leave the amp set up with everything connected, and just connect my laptop to it when I want to use VR. Seems better overall than being tethered directly to the laptop and having to connect and disconnect.