Which GTX 970 to choose?

Brad

gemini

I think most of the card you link will work it just depend on the length of the card. Reason I mention the size is because 9.5 inch is the sweet spot with out doing any mod to the system. It will take 10.5 but you need to replace the fan near the card with a thinner one. I installed the PNY XLR8 GTX 970 (9.72)refernce card with out doing any modification to my rig...so far after two months of abuse I did not encounter any issues with the card more quiet than the previous 760ti that came with my system. Just dont get the overclock card unless you know how to tame the GPU. Goodluck!

Brad

Cheers for the heads up! I've decided to go for the last link I posted, the EVGA GTX 970. I heard another person who tried this and has had no problems. Yeah I'm a newbie to PC gaming so I wouldn't know how to down clock or over clock. Did you have any issues uninstalling your previous graphics card? Or anything I should watch out for?
Thanks

gemini

Just be patients/care full when opening/pulling any parts from your system. Watching it on youtube is easy but when your doing it yourself is different. Just easy when you open the side panel there's a wire attach to it that's for the lighting effects but you can detach the wire. If you can get the reference card its better for you...If I were you I will go for Palit.its cheaply made but I have red some good out put with card. or you can go with the one I installed PNY GTX XLR8 970 its on sale now from Amazon U.S for 296 it was $329 when I purchased it.

Last edited:

Brad

Thanks I'll watch out for that. I have heard that reference cards are a better safer options. I spoke to another member of the community who had successfully installed this card and hasn't had any issues with it. He said part of it is because it doesn't requir an awful lot of power as its 145w. He also said that he's overclocked this card as well ands it's still running perfect. So hopefully it should go just as smoothly for me

gemini

that is correct..our system is so compact that it cant afford to take more heat from a type fan GPU. You can still overclock the reference card but to me I am comfortable with the suggested clock this way your GPU will last longer..

Brad

Yeah that is true, I won't be over locking this card as like you say I want it to last as long as possible. What do you think about removing the disc drive to increase the air flow?

gemini

Yeah that is true, I won't be over locking this card as like you say I want it to last as long as possible. What do you think about removing the disc drive to increase the air flow?
That's what some people did they remove the disc drive. I haven't done any mod except replacing the card I want to keep it stock. But its really up to you if you want to get rid of the disc drive who use disc drive this days.. Maybe I'll get rid of it in the future..

Brad

Ah okay, haha yeah exactly . I just don't use mine and if removing it will help the graphics card breath a bit better I might give it a go. But I think I'll just keep it stock for a while with the new card and see how it runs. I'll use the software msi afterburner to monitor the temperature. Have you tried running yours in 4K?

Shooter

Hello I have the overclockers 970. I took the fan out and removed 1 case clip as it wouldn't sit right. It sits at 80 degrees and is nice and stable. I'm running witcher on most ultra at about 45 to 60 fps. Even without the fan I'm not having any problems. I have removed the DVD drive though. Got a Samsung evo 850 in the post and I've also orded a 120mm noctua fan, going to do a case mod for piece of mind. The build quaulity of the overclocker gtx 970 is amazing well worth the extra cash.

KillerBee33

Selling GTX760Ti factory and GTX970 nvidia Stock Reference , not MSI,EVGA,PNY etc if any1 interested

venticore

Taking the PC to its limit and keep it for another 2 years or more.
4 me I might swap the case for As rock m8 and get the GTX 980 ti instead and upgrade to 6 core CPU in some point.
But for now I am happy and enjoying my r2 still have much love for it.

KillerBee33

Keeping it for two years is a bit of a stretch ;) the way things are progressing lately ....in two years nVidia Shield will be more powerful and most likely size of a Samsung Galaxy ;), plus Windows 10 and its DX12, 9 Series is a first stage of DX12 cards , once developers start writing those games , well we'll see ;) . To be completely honest im fine with 970 and 1080p Ultra settings , most games @ 1440p and few older at 2160p , but it never stops :( 8K screens are coming this year , time will show when Win 10 is out next month.

venticore

Well technology won't stop developing but with chasing the new tech you will empty your wallets and new stuffs will continue showing .
I am still using my 1080p monitor and have a 4k TV.