test

WiDi - Wireless Display

MattyB

Has/does anyone use WiDi on their laptop? Tommy, I see your 6600 has it. There is a spare WiDi port in my M18x and I wanted to find out how well it works. I was also trying to find one of these cards for sale somewhere. I haven't had much luck so far. I don't like having spare ports that I can fill up somehow. I find it weird that it's not an option to put one in on the Dell Aust website. I remember having the option when buying my M17x R3.

MattyB

DDuB, you've done it again!!! Cheers buddy. Now I just need one of those and an mSata SSD and I'm fully loaded! :) I did tell the GF that I would cut down on the computer spending but nuts to that!

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

It will work as long as I have the cable installed inside my machine. I had better check that first I guess.

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
Just be aware of the limits of widi and that a cable may be a better option anyway ;)

MattyB

I am 'girt' by wires and cables. A bit of cable freedom would be nice. But.....mainly I want to fill that empty slot in my machine! :p

MattyB

Waiting on Dell for a price of a WiHD unit. Knowing what their parts prices are like, I don't think I will go for it in the end. I can find the WiHD cards on eBay for not too much but I can't find the cable anywhere. I'm assuming the cable is some sort of antenna.

MattyB

$100! :eek::eek: that plus the card itself it will be close to $200. I think I'll put it in the 'Maybe Later' basket. I may have bought something I shouldn't have this morning anyway....... :D

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I'm wondering how it is installed too. I have tried to look it up but there is precious little info. One end plugs into the WiHD card obviously but where does the transmitter board go?? It must come back around the mobo somehow. Or maybe up into the LCD.

DDuB420

It plugs into the motherboard next to where the display cable plugs in from the LCD screen.
Well at least it does on a M17xR3

Ask Mr Fox, he will know for sure on a M18x

MattyB

Ahh, I know the spot. Should be pretty similar on the M18x. Thanks for your help as always!

MattyB

I have no idea what you mean.................... :rolleyes: My girlfriend is going to kill me! It's coming from the US. I get home from work tomorrow so it had better get there in the 2 weeks I'm home. i have a chance to hide it from her then.

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
Quite frankly there are more interesting 15" units these days :s

MattyB

I didn't buy it for an awesome gaming laptop. I have a slight problem with buying AW machines. I just wanted one to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, till death do us part. :D

yikes81

MattyB will be buried in his tomb will all his Alienware, just like the pharaohs of old.

Sent via Tapatalk