Wifi antenna mods

ejohnson

Did this mod back when I first got my x51, figured I could share it with you guys.
I have since seen a few people also do this mod, but with a single antenna.

I installed 2 SMA antenna cables. They go from the wifi card to the back panel. This allows me to hook up external antenna.
I went from picking up maybe 5 networks to being able to pick up 25+ networks.... houses in my neighborhood are pretty spread out too, so If I had to guess, I would say my range is well over 1500 feet now.

I am using a pair of Amped Wireless antenna (thats the brand). They are 1 watt powered antenna with a 12dbi gain.
Amped Wireless SB1000 High Power Signal Booster
Along with a killer 1102 card that I had laying around.

Commy1

wow o_o kinda reminds me of jumper cables. Great mod though, wish it were possible with laptops, or well maybe not to that degree but anything at all.

ejohnson

It is possible with laptops... but you kinda have a threaded part sticking out of the side.
Here is the one I installed into my m11x
Then I just have a small antenna hooked up to it.

Derek202

Hello, I'm New Here, Do You Think You Could Do A Guide On How To Do This? What I Really Want To Do Is Just Attach Two Antennas To The End. Thanks.
-Derek

Derek202

P.S Here's What I Wish To Do:
Buy These:
http://www.rkcomputer.net/rkcnotebooks/index.php?l=product_detail&p=392
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS481US481&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&q=2+SMA+antenna+cables&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4444262431209956526&sa=X&ei=V_O8T6PqEcSfiQLemZCmDg&ved=0COABEPICMAU
I Also Compared The Internal Card With Yours And Mine, Are's Should By Them Self Get Around 44% Performance Boost,
So Please Tell Me If 4 Inches On The Wires Is Long Enough For The Mod, And If So, I'm Gonna Make A How To Guide.
Thank You!

ejohnson

No its not enough, plus, that cable will not work either.

You need a 12 inch cable for this.

I got a 10 inch cable and it barely clears the fan, so there is tension on it right now.

But, you need a sma - u.fl cable for this.

How I did it was...
Remove motherboard, remove gpu, remove dvd.
Then mark the place on the back you want the wires.
If you use the computer in its upright position, make sure you put the connectors next to each other so you can have both antenna side by side.
If you lay the computer on its side, then you can put them like I have them (one on top of the other)

I drilled a small pilot hole, then drilled the larger holes. If you start with the big drill bit right away, then you run a chance of having the drill "walk" and it will mar up the case and look bad.

After you have drilled the holes, there is a metal mesh stuff behind it, poke holes in that and run the wires in.

THen reinstall the motherboard and all parts. plug in antenna and fire it up.

Last edited:

F33L

another good idea is called cantenna ;) google it and u will see what i am talking about..
i've done that back in 2005 when i was a wifi newbie so it shouldnt be hard for anyone

ejohnson

Yes cantennas are fun and all, but they are a directional antenna. Unless you are trying to do point to point wifi they are not needed. A good 12dbi powered antenna (I use a pair of 1 watt powered antenna) will give you a good 15-20 block range. Usually thats more than enough to pick up any wifi signals you wish to use.

I see You

hey can you point me to the antenna cable you hooked up to the internal card i moved my x51 to another case and i wish to hook back up my wifi.