test

Will over clocking fix this issue ?

Sleepy

Hello all , I have a dual GTX680 sli with a i73940xm ,
My thinking was that this set up is way more power than I would need for a long time to come .

My issues is when gaming on bf3 I still can not set ALL visual setting to their max ( only a few I can't ) well I can , and it will play .... BUT the game doesn't run smooth .

As far as I can see ,what I have should run this easily ?
I have read other places about people getting CPU bottlenecks and gtx680 in sli is going to need a lot of CPU ( I'm guessing lol )

I have also noticed that my machine is not making lots of fan noise when I'm gaming in fact it makes very little .... Which makes me think it is not pushing its self and using all of the power it has to offer ?

Please can you people that are in the know about these things give me some advice ?

Thanks

MattyB

Your beast should eat that game for breakfast. What FPS is it running at? Have you tried the standard fixes like your GPU driver and also making sure you're using the 680's instead of Intel. The M18x doesn't have the same Optimus tech like the M17x. You have to switch them and then reboot. Pressing FN - F7 will switch from Nvidia to Intel and vica-versa.

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
Oh I think the intel would be more than just having to turn down a few settings from max.

Look for the AA or AF settings as having them at 8x and 16x respectively will have no appreciable difference to 4x and 8x while having a large performance hit.

Otherwise yes overclocking your video memory would likely see the biggest increase as this is the 680M card's biggest weakness.

Sleepy

@ MattyB actually i had a nvida update which has improved the issue , but im still getting at its lowest 45 fps .( on a 64 man server , if done on a empty server it never drops below 60 fps )

@ Meaker i would like to know more about over clocking the 680m video memory (if this is what you think is the biggest weakness ) ( as i was talking anout over clocking my cpu lol ) please can you give me some simple steps on how to do this and what if any software i would need,, and if their are any down sides to doing this.

Thanks for the info so far guys

Last edited:

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
You download MSI afterburner and drag the slider to the right :)

Go small steps (50mhz) each time starting with +400mhz and see until you see crashing or artifacts, at that point back off 100mhz.

Sleepy

Great thx for the info, I have downloaded afterburner and have started setting it up , please can you give just a little more info on what setting to put in ,,, i have started at + 400ghz for the memory ...but the core clock only go's up to +135ghz and that is it at max ? should i start with this setting lower ? or should i leave this setting alone ie rest it back to stock ?

thx for any info you or anyone can give

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Im a little worried as im upto +700hgz over clock on the memory and every thing looks good (should i just keep going up ? ) ,, in fact the heat is actually getting lower ?( i thought it would get hotter ? )

any further input at this point would be useful :S

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Ok so i have set this up as follows core clock +135ghz , memory clock +650ghz

readings show:

GPU temp max 70% and 67% (but lower mostly )

CPU USAGE 99% 98%

MEMORY CLOCK 2552
MEMORY USAGE 1795

please can somebody tell me if this looks like a safe setting to run it at , as i would really like to not break my new m18x lol ?

thx

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
The core overclocking max setting is set to a point that no significant damage can be done.

You would have to flash the Vbios to get more but that is starting to get deep into OCing. The primary thing to always watch is temperatures and anything below 80C for the GPU is very good.

Sleepy

O I forgot to say .. That doing this has fixed the issue , and bf3 is now running on full ultra and is buttery smooth , in fact settings are higher than normal ultra as I have increased the veiw angel to 90 from the standard 70 and up the blur from 50 to 100 ,, I did this using the new nvidia Optimiser ( beta )

Thx to both Mattyb and Meaker for the info and help

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
Remember always that SLi requires two identical copies of memory, all data must be written twice (once to each memory bank) meaning you get no extra memory write bandwidth so you get more extra core speed than bandwidth so memory speed can become more important.