Win 7 OS help.

Werewolf

Hi all,

How would I go about installing Win 7 over Win 8.1 which comes with the new X51's?

What would I need prepared? Drivers? How will I know the ones I need?

Would I lose the Alien CC?

Basically I want to keep all the original settings (startup with AW logo, still have the choice to change colours) as it was shipped but just don't want win 8 as I have the win 7 disc.

Thank you.

Last edited:

ADOR

I haven't done it on this model but I have swapped a few laptops from windows 8 to windows 7. You will have to change a few bios settings to get it to recognize the DVD on boot up and to load properly. For drivers you may have to load generic drivers for your hardware, a older version of CC may work. I would get a old SATA drive to load it on first to to test to make sure if you have it figured out first to test out before you wipe out your original OS.

To keep the AW logo for the OS you will need to load from a original Alienware disk. It's just a version of windows 7 with alienware logos incorporated into it. You can also change the logos to what you want on a basic disk install of windows 7 by a few basic mods.

Werewolf

So I cannot just re install windows 7 on its own? Please note this will be a brand new X51.

Btw I don't care about losing Dell stuff...only interested in the AW command center ( ability to change colors)

Last edited: