test

Win 8 wrong choice

onlyme

Had my X51 for a week. Ordered it with Windows 8, even though I was really thinking hard about sticking with Windows 7.

After a week of frustration I really wish I had stuck with Windows 7 and not opted for Windows 8. While some features are great other are so frustrating that I just give up, it's just a crazy operating system, like going back to 'Vista' or 'ME'. I pretty much have to research most of the stuff I just did automatically on Win 7.

I though I'd go with the Win 8 to save potential $50 upgrade path from Win 7, but that was probably a mistake on my part.

I looked a a downgrade path - but getting Win 7 installed plus all the drivers has led to some pretty big issue for some folks so I guess I;m stuck with it until Microsoft release 'Windows Blue' that I heard could some as soon a April !!! 13 ?

MattyB

I'm holding off. I'm pretty much set with W7 so I don't see the need to upgrade. I'm hearing too many bad reports for W8.

sway

I love w8, never had any issues with it.

tappin from the Note II

sway

It boots a lil quicker. I really wouldn't listen to those bad reviews, most are just bc of the way it looks. Performance is a bit better especially in games, not mind blowing but a lil. It's easier all around once you learn the shortcuts.

tappin from the Note II

Maelstrom

It just doesn't seem worth getting right now. Having to do the whole OS install, with drivers and all that so that you can learn a new UI and system for some marginal improvements in some areas.

sway

I can understand it being a pain to reinstall trust me, but most of the drivers are the exact same as w7.

tappin from the Note II

VagrantXeth

I had been on the fence about Windows 8 but decided to stick with Windows 7 mainly because I am happy with it. Negative reviews aside, it think that the upgrade depends on the individual user. I have heard some people are really happy with it and others not so much. For the mean time, I am good with what I got.

MattyB

I had been on the fence about Windows 8 but decided to stick with Windows 7 mainly because I am happy with it. Negative reviews aside, it think that the upgrade depends on the individual user. I have heard some people are really happy with it and others not so much. For the mean time, I am good with what I got.

My sentiments exactly.

sway

I only switched bc my bios update went sideways, so for me it was an easy choice. Like I've said before, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I put it on my m11x bc it was begging to get wiped and fresh install.

tappin from the Note II

seek427

When i heard it was made to be used with touch screen devices it kinda turned me off .. Maybe you can convince me to get W8. Tell me exactly what it has to offer?

sway

When i heard it was made to be used with touch screen devices it kinda turned me off .. Maybe you can convince me to get W8. Tell me exactly what it has to offer?

If your happy with what you got assuming it's not Vista, I'd stick with it. It's mostly visual upgrades and some performance with boot and games etc... It's kinda cool, I was one of those people who said ahh it's just another Vista I'll wait for the next one. Well I couldn't pass up 15$ upgrade and I had to wipe my boot drive so I thought why not. Well I really like it, I like the apps (even though they're limited for now), it's easy to use once you learn and faster getting around finding stuff. I'm a visual person, I like eye candy and performance, with w8 you get both, it's basically w7 with tweaks.

It's for sure optimized for tablets and touch screens, you'll see that of you get it, but it works great either way. You'll either like it or hate it, I like it and so do a lot of other people I've talked to who thought the same as new me.

tapping from the Note II

VagrantXeth

It seems to me that Win8 was originally intended for touch interfaces, mostly to compete with the iproducts that have been dominating the markeshare in terms of portable devices. With Android becoming a more vaible portable OS, it seems that a little bit of Apple's thunder has been stolen. IMO Microsoft was looking for something that could be versatile enough to use in both traditionally non portable and portable devices. Problem is, when you take that route you make compromises on both ends and leave little to be desired in terms of an overall fully functioning OS. They should have adopted the same model that Apple currently uses and have two specialized OS that work well together, one for portable devices and one for PC.

MattyB

I have it on my X51 that's coming next week so I guess I'll be giving it a go soon.

This old dog doesn't like learning new tricks though. :D

Commy1

Windows 8 is garbage... I won't be using it until the millions of bugs are exterminated. And then, only if they offer it for free... lol

DDuB420

Windows 7 > Windows 8, for now at least. Im waiting for SP1 then Ill upgrade my primary OS to Win 8

shankc

Windows 8 yeah or neah

I was thinking of getting a copy while its still cheap but I'm not sure if you have to use it straight away as I was wanting wait a few months before installing till all the bugs had been fixed but I don't no if this is possible and I don't want to buy then install it in a few months and it won't activate,anyone no if this is possible.I love windows 7 but don't want to miss out on a bargain but the activation issue is holding me back

VagrantXeth

If you are happy with Win7, no use in taking a chance just because you can get it on the cheap.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
If it was me, I'd get the license for $15 before it goes up on 1/31. I been running Win 8 Pro with WMC and it's been working good for me. The only problem I had was my fingerprint reader was not working at first, but the new software has it working now. You could always get Start8 if you do not want to lose the Win 7 Start Button and features. Personally I find it better with out it.

VagrantXeth

Tommy, funny that you should bring up the fingerprint reader. I have one and a few years ago it stopped working, so I shelved it. It is a Microsoft fingerprint reader. Will it work now with Win7?