Winamp AlienFX Plugin

GreenyRepublic

Hey there, just installed this plugin on my M11X R3, and as a bit of an uninitiated loon on the subject of audio frequencies I was wondering what the various 'frequency bands' correlate to exactly. Any help on the matter would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you.

Oh yes, thank you to Maelstrom for putting all the configuration .xml files together, it's been a huge help!

MattyB

Staff member
I just used all the instructions in this thread. You will need to read every page though as there are different instructions as you work through the thread. I will have a look back through and see if I can find the important bits

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Ok, I'm assuming you have already installed Winamp. Then on page 2 of this thread it tells you where to download the first part of the plugin. Once you have downloaded it make sure you read the READ ME section so you know where to put each file. Then go to page 9 and download the M18xR1 file. This is the AlienFX_vis file. Make sure you put this one into the same place the README told you to put the original AlienFX_vis file. Once you do all this perfectly you should be ready to configure it in Winamp.

Go to Options - Visualization - Select Plugin. Highlight the AlienFX one and press Start. Then press configure. At some stage of this process it will come up with an error of some type. Don't worry about this. It should still work. Once you go into Configure another window will pop up. This is where you select the different zones of your M18x and assign different energy factors to them. Eg Alienware logo to factors 1-4. This section you will need to play around with for a while to work out whats best for you. If you open up the Show Frequency Analysis part, you can fine tune things a bit better. It takes a while to get the hang of. Just keep tuning things until you think you've got it worked out. It's all trial and error.

Hopefully I've walked you through it properly and haven't made any mistakes. If I can work it out, anyone can! Good luck.

ma®ximum

Awesome dude! Its blazing all the colours now haha! Soe nice touch! Now will need to have a good learn at how to configure zones and frequencies as I have messed everything up to max and all zones at once but thats nice!

MattyB

Staff member
Glad to hear it worked out! :D Yeah it takes a bit of messing around. The frequency analysis is very handy. Once you work out what bars are for what you can fine tune your settings really well.

lukebolger

hi! I have an mx11R2, tried installing, re installing winamp and the plugin, when i click start plugin lights all go out and have to reboot plllleeeeaaassseee help :(

MattyB

Staff member
The lights will go out until you configure the plugin and then start the music. Have a look at my post a few above this one. Configuring the different zones on your machine takes a little time to get right but keep at it.

Once you close down Winamp the lights will stay off. You need to click the little alien head at the bottom right of your screen. Select 'Go dark' and then select 'Go light'. That should start them up again.

Maelstrom

The lights will go out until you configure the plugin and then start the music. Have a look at my post a few above this one. Configuring the different zones on your machine takes a little time to get right but keep at it.

Once you close down Winamp the lights will stay off. You need to click the little alien head at the bottom right of your screen. Select 'Go dark' and then select 'Go light'. That should start them up again.
This.

Basically what happens when you activate the plugin is that the program takes control of the LEDs to use with the beat detection. When you haven't configured any of them to come on though it will just be black.
Then, in order to give the default AlienFX software back the control of the LEDs you have to reset them like Matty said.

Other than that it seems like you have installed the program correctly :)

lukebolger

Sorry, I should have mentioned. I have configured it using the readme example values. Still nothing.

Falcon

Hey could somebody help me with this plugin with R4 i mean fresh zip file exclusively for R4. Thanx in advance.

MattyB

Staff member
Why do you need that? The R3 file should work perfectly.

OG1-KENOBI

Nice. Im glad I bought the funky disco light upgrade for my R4. Sometimes its flashes the same way as it did when the dreaded BSD which sends fear shooting through me for a second.

Glacius91

Hello and sorry for reviving this; is there any way to make this Winamp plugin work on my X51 desktop? I've tried everything to no avail, I also saw there's a "Winamp Plugin" inside the AlienFX installation folder, but it doesn't work at all, I would really appreciate any help.

reckbates

I created a new device list for the M18x R2(which I found on here the next day, which could have saved me some time.). Then I edited the old files to work with the new device file. I will upload a zip of all the files so you can cut and paste. Everything works great except when I exit winamp I have to open alienFX and reapply my normal light theme. Haven't figured out why it's not doing it automatically when I exit like it's suppose to.

eclipse05

I got it work :D So freaking happy! :D
Let's the party begin! :p
post #15 and a file from #42
Sweet stuff! Now just needs to figure it out as everything flashing like craaazy! :D I mean specific frequencies for the right parts ;)