Windows 10 upgrade

PoOkiExL3oi

Hello guys and gals! Has anyone updated to the latest Windows 10. Those that did get the New Windows 10 let me know what you think of the operating system and if there was any issues during instill and how is the usability. Let us know so we can all talk about it and hopefully if someone else does have a similar or same issues we all can fix it together or at least try to.

I did the upgrade on my Aurora R1 (Late 2009) model and for about a week I was not liking it because of some software/driver incompatibility issues which I will explain below. On Dell's Support I kept getting this every time I went on Dell's support site even now as I type this thread:
Alienware Aurora (Late 2009)
Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade
Dell has not confirmed that this product can upgrade to Windows 10. Some drivers, firmware, applications, and connected devices may not work as you would expect.

Sucks to read that but I was not deterred by that message because I already new Microsoft gave all Windows 7, 8/8.1 users a month to switch back to Windows 7 or 8/8.1 if we felt it was not worth the upgrade or whatever the individuals feelings towards it. Anyways so I did the upgrade to Windows 10 just to test the boat out and if anything would happen I will try to fix them if it was possible and surely there was some issues. I do want to say Windows 10 is being tested as of now and as of now I didn't have any issues with downloading Windows 10 it was smooth and easy took about 45-50 minutes to fully setup. So far the only issues I have had was:

ISSUE 1: The fans going on full blast (100%) during initial start up and once everything was loaded and in the start menu screen the fans would still be on full blast I had to go into Command Center and manually set to a lower setting to get the fans to hush up. Once I did that the fan speed was quiet again but it was only once you where in the start menu. The moment I would power down (shutoff) or start up the Aurora all the fans run 100% full speed ahead and sometimes wouldn't even shutdown I would have to pull the power cable out the psu to shut it off scary as hell for a noob like me :confused:.

FIX: An old but latest version of the command center for the Aurora R1 (Late 2009) and bare in mind I didn't research the other later models for compatibility with this ALIENWARE COMMAND-CENTER and here is the site for Aurora R1 (Late 2009) driver

Link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...rora&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP&DCP=DNDTAG

After downloading and a complete restart it would work for that moment but after a few restarts and shutdown and powering the system back on the problem came back and I was back at square 1 with the fans blowing like a hair dryer from hell lol So I did some google research and found that the Windows 10 platform is similar to Windows 8/8.1 so I went ahead and downloaded the later Command Center for the Aurora R4 using Windows 8/8.1 just to see since I was already running on Windows 10, Aurora R4 Command Center

Link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/ed...?driverId=442CY&fileId=2990314836&osCode=W764

After I installed this driver I rebooted and "BAM" all the fans went back to normal and auto settings are working the way it should as of now I haven't had anymore problems with the fans or my command center
If any of you want to know where I found the information here is the link:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19476565

ISSUE 2: The internet would randomly disconnect but my modem and wireless router signals are working fine also my either net cable is hard wired to my desktop and not wireless. I would have to restart the computer in order to get the internet to work again I would perform the troubleshoot network test and it would tell me that my local area connection is disabled, but every time I enabled it the darn thing would have a mind of it's own and disable the connection while I am using the internet or not using the internet it would disable by itself and it would do it all at random time in 25 minutes, 1 hour of internet use or just 5 minutes it was really strange. I called my cable company to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my internet they said my internet is working fine and they believed it had something to do with Windows 10 so I went to several websites Microsoft support, Asus support, forums and googled every and anything I could find for this issue and not to much was out there for this problem on the Aurora R1 but since I was not thinking straight at that time I realized Dell does have a driver update for the Broadcom either net controller so I tried it.

FIX: To fix this problem I went to dell support and downloaded the latest driver which was in 2013 since the last time it was updated but oh well took a chance with this one, Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller link:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...rora&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI&DCP=DNDTAG

After install no reboot required but I rebooted the computer anyways because I felt like doing it to test out my fans again and so far I haven't had any problems with any of the 2 issues. At the moment Windows 10 is not to hard to use still feels almost like any other windows program from previous generations just a different Start Menu and some additions like Cortana which I haven't used and other stuff I haven't tried yet because I just haven't had the chance to yet. I do enjoy the faster speed I get when opening apps/files and when first turning on the Aurora it loads up a lot faster then Windows 7 which is not bad because even when I was using windows 7 it didn't felt like it was long but with W.10 it definitely had some speedy load compared to W.7 but who knows it's only been 1 day so I will let you all know how it goes after a month of use.

Hope this was helpful and leave a comment and tell us how your Windows 10 is doing.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

BlackJair

I updated my M17x R2 last night and the new SO is nice, everything about the SO is great but Some of the driver's I have for W7 doesn't work fine with W10 and couldn't install OSD & CommandCenter so I had to go back to W7.

I'll just wait until some of the drivers get updated because from what I saw, it's the new Windows 7.

stucatz

I also have an Aurora R1 (Late 2009) and I upgraded to Win 10 on day 1. I had no problems other than the fans. To get around this, I also switched to manual by curve. But you are right - they go full pelt until the Command Centre kicks in. So thanks for the link to the x64 Win8 update. I'll check version numbers and upgrade if applicable.

Other than that, I've been upgrading drivers manually over the years from the individual chipset manufacturers sites because Dell had obviously stopped posting updates for this system. In that sense, my drivers were pretty close to being completely up to date before the upgrade, which probably contributed to things being trouble free. If the Dell drivers for a particular item haven't been upgraded recently, I would completely suggest going to the chipset manufacturer site and upgrading the driver from there.

Windows 10 runs really nicely, which it should given how much grunt is under the hood. It may by 5-6 years old, but it's still a total beast :)

MattyB

Been wondering how it would go on my M18x R2. It's downloaded but I haven't pressing the Install button yet. I was worried about the driver issues too. Maybe I should just do it and hope for the best...

kepano24

I tried win x, but like above my OSD didn't work....I noticed windows made it's own osd as well...but it's not the same.....also...it was slow as crap....my win 7 pro, boots super fast, win x was up to 4 mins at time vs 30 secs or less. Win x isn't stable, may never be...I still couldn't find some stuff in win x even this I,had used a work pc with win 8 on it....why Microsoft feels the need to hide crap I dunno

stucatz

PoOkiExL3oi - first of all many, many thanks for the link to the updated Command Centre. It works PERFECTLY ! The fans are back to running the way they were under Windows 7 :) That was the only missing piece of the puzzle for me. Other than that, this weapon (980x, 24Gb Ram and Radeon HD 5970) is running like clockwork.

MattyB

All seems to be working great for me so far. Boot time is way better than the old Win7. About 10 secs now. Don't know how you're getting about 4 mins. CC seems to be working fine too. Will just take some time getting used to a new OS. Just waiting for it to get on my AW14 so I can get stupid Win8.1 out of the way.

stucatz

Last piece of the puzzle - I've just noticed that my bluetooth hasn't come back up on my Aurora R1 and its not listed anywhere in the Device Manager (not even as a disabled or not working device). Anyone got a fix or advice for that ?

MattyB

No sorry. I also noticed today that my bt isn't working on my M18x. Also had a major issue where my wifi would shut down when I tried to print to the wifi printer at work. Went on the Dell site and they say that Win10 isn't supported for my machine. May take a while for drivers to come out unfortunately.

tangonaninc

I did an upgrade to my X51 R2 and then did the clean install. That was the best thing for me to do. It really is way better that 8.1. Clean install is the way to go! Systems runs way better now!

stucatz

Update: There are some threads going around saying to use the Lenovo Bluetooth 4.0 drivers. I did try that and it seems to recognise and enable the bluetooth (you also need to enable the bluetooth services which Windows 10 seems to turn off, for some reason), but these do not work. They seem to generate incorrect pairing codes for bluetooth devices and I wasn't able to connect anything.

I think this is this only thing left that left that doesn't work for me post upgrade on the Aurora R1. Here's hoping that Dell come up with some 365 drivers soon.

alien2342323

First of all, thanks to OP and others in this thread.
I have an Aurora R1 which despite Alienware's overpriced and overrated reputation is one of the best computers I have ever owned with a few important caveats that I will address later. Almost six years after its purchase, it is at worst a mediocre computer by current standards. In computer years, that is the equivalent of a 75-year-old who can keep up with someone in their thirties. During that time, I haven't had a single hardware bug or failure.
In every aspect I would give this computer 5 stars out of 5 except for one glaring issue: Command Center which is a proprietary, indispensable utility for the proper function of the computer that Alienware decided to stop supporting only 2-3 years later and happened to coincide with some major OS developments. What is the point of spending 2K+ on a computer if it can't adapt or function in two years with the next Microsoft OS? The execs of Alienware have to be imbeciles not to realize that the PR disaster and long-term loss associated with this decision will outweigh any short term gains from not developing a working Command Center (once again, an absolutely essential program.) This is unacceptable and the reason why I will never purchase another Alienware product again. It's back to building my own PCs again. It was fun when I was younger, but I prefer to purchase premade if possible.

By this point, I had relegated myself to dwelling in the purgatory of Windows 8.0. After reading this forum, I ventured into the Brave New World of Windows 10 and everything is working great with one minor exception.
Fortunately, the major hurdle of Command Center/fan control is no longer an issue. Although I have an A1, the sometimes incompatible A4 64-bit version for Windows 8.1 works fine on Windows 10 just as OP suggested.

However, the network adapter driver that the OP mentions did not work for me.
I suggest skipping that ethernet driver altogether and going with the newer Broadcom Netlink 57xx 64-bit driver [NetLink® 57xx (x64)] from Broadcom's website: https://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=12. It works great so far and I will update if I have any issues with Command Center or the driver.

Anyway, thanks again and hope this helps.

jbomb7124

Updated my 2014 aw17. 3 times now 2 times I went back to 8.1 du3 to drivers. I'm now sticking with 10 BUT I'm not impressed. My boot Time is way longer like one to 2 min. Was roughly 25 seconds b4 with 8.1 also I have had issues with window switching from say the system window to my docs. It'll actually say "I'm working on it " with my setup there should be no working on it. It should simply be done b4 I lift my finger off the mouse as I'm running an i7 with a 1tb main drive and a 80gig msata. In raid 0. " I'M WORKING ON IT " should not be what my pc tell me when I try to open a word doc.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

jbomb7124

Updated my 2014 aw17. 3 times now 2 times I went back to 8.1 du3 to drivers. I'm now sticking with 10 BUT I'm not impressed. My boot Time is way longer like one to 2 min. Was roughly 25 seconds b4 with 8.1 also I have had issues with window switching from say the system window to my docs. It'll actually say "I'm working on it " with my setup there should be no working on it. It should simply be done b4 I lift my finger off the mouse as I'm running an i7 with a 1tb main drive and a 80gig msata. In raid 0. " I'M WORKING ON IT " should not be what my pc tell me when I try to open a word doc.

Well I can't keep 10 after all. Tried but can't do it. Keeps crashing. Can't open more then one window at a time. Even task manager of all things stopped responding. What a shit storm 10 is. Won't ever use it again. Personally I think it was not built to preform on high end machines I think it was built for mid to low range units works fine on the misses hp and mothers Asus both of which are mid to low range units also seems to work fine on tablets and phone as well but my aw. Won't take it nor will my friends

ANT

Hello guys and gals! Has anyone updated to the latest Windows 10. Those that did get the New Windows 10 let me know what you think of the operating system and if there was any issues during instill and how is the usability. Let us know so we can all talk about it and hopefully if someone else does have a similar or same issues we all can fix it together or at least try to.

I did the upgrade on my Aurora R1 (Late 2009) model and for about a week I was not liking it because of some software/driver incompatibility issues which I will explain below. On Dell's Support I kept getting this every time I went on Dell's support site even now as I type this thread:
Alienware Aurora (Late 2009)
Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade
Dell has not confirmed that this product can upgrade to Windows 10. Some drivers, firmware, applications, and connected devices may not work as you would expect.

Sucks to read that but I was not deterred by that message because I already new Microsoft gave all Windows 7, 8/8.1 users a month to switch back to Windows 7 or 8/8.1 if we felt it was not worth the upgrade or whatever the individuals feelings towards it. Anyways so I did the upgrade to Windows 10 just to test the boat out and if anything would happen I will try to fix them if it was possible and surely there was some issues. I do want to say Windows 10 is being tested as of now and as of now I didn't have any issues with downloading Windows 10 it was smooth and easy took about 45-50 minutes to fully setup. So far the only issues I have had was:

ISSUE 1: The fans going on full blast (100%) during initial start up and once everything was loaded and in the start menu screen the fans would still be on full blast I had to go into Command Center and manually set to a lower setting to get the fans to hush up. Once I did that the fan speed was quiet again but it was only once you where in the start menu. The moment I would power down (shutoff) or start up the Aurora all the fans run 100% full speed ahead and sometimes wouldn't even shutdown I would have to pull the power cable out the psu to shut it off scary as hell for a noob like me :confused:.

FIX: An old but latest version of the command center for the Aurora R1 (Late 2009) and bare in mind I didn't research the other later models for compatibility with this ALIENWARE COMMAND-CENTER and here is the site for Aurora R1 (Late 2009) driver

Link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...rora&languageCode=EN&categoryId=AP&DCP=DNDTAG

After downloading and a complete restart it would work for that moment but after a few restarts and shutdown and powering the system back on the problem came back and I was back at square 1 with the fans blowing like a hair dryer from hell lol So I did some google research and found that the Windows 10 platform is similar to Windows 8/8.1 so I went ahead and downloaded the later Command Center for the Aurora R4 using Windows 8/8.1 just to see since I was already running on Windows 10, Aurora R4 Command Center

Link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/ed...?driverId=442CY&fileId=2990314836&osCode=W764

After I installed this driver I rebooted and "BAM" all the fans went back to normal and auto settings are working the way it should as of now I haven't had anymore problems with the fans or my command center
If any of you want to know where I found the information here is the link:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19476565

ISSUE 2: The internet would randomly disconnect but my modem and wireless router signals are working fine also my either net cable is hard wired to my desktop and not wireless. I would have to restart the computer in order to get the internet to work again I would perform the troubleshoot network test and it would tell me that my local area connection is disabled, but every time I enabled it the darn thing would have a mind of it's own and disable the connection while I am using the internet or not using the internet it would disable by itself and it would do it all at random time in 25 minutes, 1 hour of internet use or just 5 minutes it was really strange. I called my cable company to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my internet they said my internet is working fine and they believed it had something to do with Windows 10 so I went to several websites Microsoft support, Asus support, forums and googled every and anything I could find for this issue and not to much was out there for this problem on the Aurora R1 but since I was not thinking straight at that time I realized Dell does have a driver update for the Broadcom either net controller so I tried it.

FIX: To fix this problem I went to dell support and downloaded the latest driver which was in 2013 since the last time it was updated but oh well took a chance with this one, Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller link:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...rora&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI&DCP=DNDTAG

After install no reboot required but I rebooted the computer anyways because I felt like doing it to test out my fans again and so far I haven't had any problems with any of the 2 issues. At the moment Windows 10 is not to hard to use still feels almost like any other windows program from previous generations just a different Start Menu and some additions like Cortana which I haven't used and other stuff I haven't tried yet because I just haven't had the chance to yet. I do enjoy the faster speed I get when opening apps/files and when first turning on the Aurora it loads up a lot faster then Windows 7 which is not bad because even when I was using windows 7 it didn't felt like it was long but with W.10 it definitely had some speedy load compared to W.7 but who knows it's only been 1 day so I will let you all know how it goes after a month of use.

Hope this was helpful and leave a comment and tell us how your Windows 10 is doing.

Thanks for reading :)

Awesome fix. I have an Aurora 1 with the fan issues and tried everything except what your recommendation of AWC for R4. It worked, so far anyway. The fan issue was the worst bug so for with Windows 10 and this machine.
Thank you

ANT

Well the fix works for awhile, still have to uninstall and reinstall AWCC, now every other day. ugh

jakef

mine is windows 10, new alienware 17 r3 the windows is included to the package, my fans are not working with out enabling the fan performance on the bios.. what should do

ANT

Your under warranty, I would call customer service. Sounds like a different problem then this thread. If your sure they're not working, mine are very quite under normal conditions, uninstalling and reinstalling Command Center might help but I'd call service.

Pookster

I know this is an old post but I wanted to update an issue that it helped me fix, and hopefully help someone else in the future. Sorry about the length.

I have an Aurora R2 that came with Win 7 and upgraded it to 10. Just to be on the safe side I created a full image of the current Win 7 system in case it all goes south and started the upgrade on 3/1/2016. Although the Win 10 upgrade report said "no incompatibilities found", the auto installer failed numerous times and I did not know why. Nothing was listed in the "review the report" that came after the fail as it said. So, I downloaded the OS to a flash drive and did it manually.

After the upgrade I had to uninstall and reinstall the same version of my ATI video driver that was already installed. I had to uninstall and reinstall the same version of Dell Backup that was already installed. And I had to uninstall and reinstall the same version of J Micron Raid that was already installed. Not sure why these things were not noted on the report. It may have been that the report seen them as "OK" since it was the same versions of each one that I had to reinstall. Who knows. But after that all was fine for about two months. My Alie ran like a dream.

Around the first of May, I shut it down as usual one night and the next morning the fans went ballistic running at 100%, "like a hair dryer from hell" as the OP said. I started trying to find out why the fans were going at full speed all of the sudden and was told over and over it was a know mother board issue with the one I had and it would have to be replaced. However, many others with different computers and motherboards than mine were experiencing the same issue. This didn't add up. I tried every fix I could find that pertained to the fans issue to no avail. I did the work around with the setting in CC to "curve" instead of auto and that worked after I was logged on. But, it was taking much longer to log on now, 4 to 5 minuets, and I began to think they might be right about the motherboard and started shopping for a new one. But wait!!!

Remember that image I made?

I made another image of the Win 10 configuration and restored the computer to Win 7 using that image and the fans worked normally. This would not be the case if in fact it was the motherboard going bad. After a week I decided to restore the Win 10 image and investigate further the real issue with the fans.

I had read that if you upgraded from Win 8/8.1 you needed to update the Command Center to the newest 8/8.1 version. But I had Win 7 and there was no mention of that I had found. I checked the CC version and it was the latest for Win 7. I thought well that can't be the case then and continued to search. Then I found this thread and the link above by the OP for the newest Win 8/8.1 version for CC and thought, what the heck, I have nothing to loose. I have images of both Win 7 and Win 10 on hand so here it goes.

I downloaded it and ran it as administrator and "BAM..." just like he said. I am happy to report that after a week and numerous shut downs and restarts that Alie ("A"-lee, short for alien. I know it's a corny name but it fits) is once again running like a dream. Start up time has returned to 30 - 40 seconds and the fans are behaving normally with the "auto" setting in CC.

It seems that the CC driver for Win 8/8.1 is the one needed for Win 10. Maybe Microsoft based the Win 10 upgrade on the 8/8.1 version CC. You would think they would have checked that though. But then again...:confused:

So if you upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and the fans are running like crazy, get the CC driver for Win 8/8.1 and install it as an admin. If you are considering upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7 you may want to go ahead and follow the link by the OP above and download the Win 8/8.1 driver for CC first. It just might save you a real pain in the ...neck. ;)

RVALDES23

I have an alienware aurora late 2009 model. Last time i upgraded to win 10 I was unable to find drivers for my sound card. i have a bose speaker setup and audio is critical for me.
is it possible for anyone that has the same model as i am to post quick links to all the necessary drivers? i see the link for the Command center, but any link for the audio driver? printer , bluetooth, wifi adapter, etc?