windows 7 recovery dvd

MarkZeds

I know I'm late to the party but I'm have basically the same issue. My step-son's X51 R2 when turned on goes straight to diagnostic and then tries to fix the issue. It fails so I go into the advance options and try to go a complete rest with no luck. Naturally he doesn't have any cd's for it. Can I request DELL's OEM Ultimate Key for upgrade also. I have the key from the sticker on the back of the pc. Windows 7 Home Prem OA for Dell.

Thank you in advace.
Mark Z.

MarkZeds

Download from the link i sent you, install pro or home OEM and ill give you DELL's OEM Ultimate Key for upgrade
I know I'm late to the party but I'm have basically the same issue. My step-son's X51 R2 when turned on goes straight to diagnostic and then tries to fix the issue. It fails so I go into the advance options and try to go a complete rest with no luck. Naturally he doesn't have any cd's for it. Can I request DELL's OEM Ultimate Key for upgrade also. I have the key from the sticker on the back of the pc. Windows 7 Home Prem OA for Dell.

Thank you in advace.
Mark Z.

MattyB

If he isn't worried about losing data on the drive then the best thing to do is a fresh install of Windows 10. If he doesn't want to lose his data then you can do the following steps by putting a new SSD in your machine and then keeping the old drive for another time.
Since your machine isn't functioning properly, you'll have to do the first steps on another PC.
1. Grab a USB flash drive (minimum 8GB) and stick it in a PC
2. Download a program called Rufus
3. Format the USB to be a bootable drive using Rufus (follow the instructions on the Rufus page)
4. Go to www.microsoft.com and head to the download section
5. Download Windows 10 Home onto the USB
6. Remove the Bootable USB and stick it in your X51
7. Turn on machine and continually press F12 to enter the boot menu
8. Select the USB drive and reboot

Your machine will now start installing Windows 10. It may give you the option to upgrade and keep personal files but I can't quite remember and I always do a fresh install anyway. I have done this many times a I've never needed a product key as long as you install the same version as you had, for example, you can't get Pro for free if you had Home.
Windows 10 will automatically find the device drivers and update the ones it needs.

MarkZeds

Thank you MattyB. By the way, his pc use to be Win7 and then he did the upgrade to Win10. Do I still install Win 10 or Win7 first then upgrade to Win 10.

I always thought there was a special version CD from Dell I had to use for Windows install.

MattyB

No you can just install Windows 10. There is a Dell version but you're better off with the pure Microsoft version anyway. A lot of people do fresh installs as soon as they get a new machine to get rid of the Dell crap

MarkZeds

I don't know if there were any partitions on the original hard drive. Do I just wipe it clean to one partition (C).
Thanks again.

MattyB

I always just wipe it clean as one partition. You can create a recovery partition but I've never bothered.