test

Windows 8 on X51. How did it go for you? (Tips, ideas, etc.)

Orcvader

Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading my brand new Win7 X51 with a Win8 upgrade disc. Leaving the virtues (or lack thereof) of Windows 8 aside, I was wondering if anyone here has upgraded or has an x51 that came with Win8 and what your exprience so far has been, specifically when it comes to drivers, alienware apps that came with your machine, etc.

Me? I am just anal about not having the latest OS and that's mainly why I want to upgrade. :)

I just bought my X51 but decided to go with Windows 7 while I made absolutely sure all drivers are working perfect.

Thanks! :)

sway

Running just fine on w8, I like it honestly, it flows well. Haven't found anything not working yet.

tappin from the aokp running Nexus

Orcvader

Running just fine on w8, I like it honestly, it flows well. Haven't found anything not working yet.

Did you get your X51 with W8 or just updated after? If you upgraded, did you do clean install or upgrade-in-place?

Thanks mate!

sway

Did you get your X51 with W8 or just updated after? If you upgraded, did you do clean install or upgrade-in-place?

Thanks mate!

I did a clean install bc my bios update went completely wrong, it was only logical to upgrade since my hdd was wiped anyway.

JDThird

I'm running it on mine as well. Initially I did an upgrade, and it was surprisingly about the best upgrade experience I've ever had changing from one OS to another. But I had issues with my mediabrowser software (since I use it as my media center PC to run my TV) so put my Windows 7 image back on. Then a week later I did a clean install. Both came up fine with no issues other than some flakiness with the Alienware software... But about the only thing I do is that I had set the color where I wanted it when I got it, and that still works although I don't need to change it (except when my 9 year old wants to see how it'd look in another color configuration). I kept getting nagged about "decrease boot time by 2 seconds" and when I figured "what the heck" and clicked "fix" just to shut it up, it wouldn't work, did nothing. I just deleted that notification that kept popping up. This is all using the drivers from the Dell site where needed although I am running the Nvidia current version for my 660 video card that I downloaded from their site.

doraemon

Just three words.... I HATE IT !!!

And I regret having ordered my new X51 with windows 8 built-in.

I miss a lot of important stuff. maybe I will get used to it some day but I think is a totally crap.

yikes81

What are you missing? It would be good to do a comprehensive comparison.

Sent via Tapatalk

Orcvader

I was about to do it and read on a BioWare forum that Dragon Age (the first one) doesn't run on Windows 8 or has some serious issues. My main concern is with older games that I still play or wish to play, that may not run proper.

Raztax

I really didn't think I would like Windows 8 which came with my X51, but after using it for a couple of days, I am starting to get used to it and it runs great. I would highly recommend clean install so you dont risk bringing issues over from the old OS.