Windows and Linux

Gravito

A friend of mine has both Win 7 and a Linux OS (Ubuntu, I guess) in his computer. I know it is possible to have two Operating Systems in your computer. Though, I am curious about the potential issues you should be aware of.

Dantheman221

A friend of mine has both Win 7 and a Linux OS (Ubuntu, I guess) in his computer. I know it is possible to have two Operating Systems in your computer. Though, I am curious about the potential issues you should be aware of.
I have a setup like that. When you install two different OS's on one PC, right after the bios, you will get a message telling you to choose which OS to start. It also will automatically do it if you dont press the up or down arrow in 30 seconds

Gogreen

My computer is setup that way. I think that would be OK as long as you put different OS on different partitions. Which one does he use as the primary OS? Wins 7?

MrPhantom

I would like to note that dual boot OS was super great with XP ( i have had dual boot for about 8 years) however, Windows 7 supports Virtual machines (VM) nativly and this is a much better way to do this. You can set the hard drive to expand dynamically so you do not have to have a large portion of your HD taken up all the time. You can also alocate how much of your memory you want it to use. Very cool and you dont have to shut down and reboot to move to the other OS.

Last edited:

Alligator

Great info, thanks for sharing it MP. That's great that with Windows 7, you don't have to shut down and reboot to move to the other OS. I am using Wins 7 but I haven't messed with it too much.

Yeah VMware is very famous for using multiple OS
Ubuntu (linux) is used for coding mostly ppl I know of