test

Windows support phone scam! Beware!

So last night I got a call on my house phone from a guy with an Indian accent identifying himself as 'David' from Windows Technical Support...
He told me that my PC had been sending error messages telling him that it was infected with harmful malware...
Ok this was a bit suspect - but I went along with it..
He told me to log in to windows and open the event log showing these harmful/malicious programs.
I clicked on one and one of the critical errors was the PC didn't shutdown properly - a pretty common thing.
Then he wanted me to download a Team Viewer type program to fix it and my credit card details for the removal of these so called 'errors'
Alarm bells!!
So at this point I stopped him and hung up.

Hopefully other people around the world have not fallen for this ploy. A google search for 'Windows phone scam' reveals that this is quite common.

NEVER GIVE CREDIT CARD INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE TO UNTRUSTED SOURCES!

DeRon1

Wow I received the exact same call not an hour ago but this guy said he was from Dell and he started to gravitate to the same conversation! I knew something was suspect because I have Dells numbers programed in my cell and the call wasn't a Dell number! I hung up on him after he ask to connect to my PC:( They are starting to come out of the wood work now

HOW IS THIS GARBAGE GETTING OUR PHONE NUMBERS

we are all in different areas of the world and they are attacking

DDuB420

I had this happen once to me a year ago and I had a lot of fun with it.
I called his bluff, insulted him then hung up.
Good times :)

jacobberke

Haha, sounds sketchy to begin with. They never call you first, you must always call them first.

I've had this call around a dozen times now.....shocked me at first but then I thought that Microsoft do not call individuals to help with their machines!....I actually look forward to getting these calls now as I take the mickey out of 'em....they say your OS is infected blah blah blah....I ask them to tell me what OS I am running....they do't know LOL

The upshot of the scam is that they try to get you to purchase something which supposedly improves your PC's performance....what a crock of crap!

AeonSoul

I've seen a video once, where they phoned a guy and asked him to gave them access to his PC, but this guy was smarter than them and ran a virtual machine with a bogus OS installed, so he recorded the whole thing while they were messing around with the fake OS and deactivating core services telling him that they were viruses. So when he was fed enough he called them out and asked if they realized they were operating on a virtual machine and they suddenly hang up the phone.
Maybe I can find that video when I get home, was funny in a certain way.

jacobberke

Haha, i would find that super annoying. Them keep calling over and over again. Did they just stop or did you block them?

yikes81

Yeh I got these calls as well. I had the guy on the phone troubleshooting for about 30min, and then told him I had a Mac.

MattyB

I'm feeling a bit left out since they haven't called me yet :(

EDIT: Hey Aeon, you forgot to tell everyone that you're the second person to reach level 5! How could you forget something like that?! :D

AeonSoul

EDIT: Hey Aeon, you forgot to tell everyone that you're the second person to reach level 5! How could you forget something like that?! :D
Oh yeah, let me make a thread about that!

yikes81

Did you want me to pass your details onto them??

Sent via Tapatalk