test

WINDOWS UPDATES - Are they necessary?

saadsolaiman

Hey guys. Just received my Alienware M17x customized.
I made a thread earlier about horror stories. Thank God I had now issues. The space bar was a bit loose but I looked up youtube popped it open and set it back. Now it's all good. I'm glad I bought this machine. It runs Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings without breaking a sweat!

So here's the thing. Before this I've been using mac. I must say the mac was obviously more stable than windows (not hating).

Windows update popped up. I accepted and that's when everything went to hell. The laptop wouldn't boot. Finally I ended up restoring. Now here's what I'm asking. I'm going to be gaming on this laptop mostly. Do I need the windows updates? or will they just keep getting in the way like this?

Commy1

Lol good old windows... over thinking, complicated and yet the only thing gamers really have... true story.

Sleepy

I would say they are needed , to keep your browsers and stuff running good , most of the time the updates are fine , but you will fine some times updates will cause issues , but hey , that windows for you lol , most can be fixed after some googling or at worst a call to support :)

SpyderBite

I run all the important updates and cherry pick the optional updates as I may be able to update them from better sources such as my nVidia drivers.

As for the optional stupid updates. Eg bing bar.. I hide those.

jacobberke

I rarely get updates anymore. Just keep your computer updated, there's updates for a reason. There's always new threats created daily.