Wireless Card

VagrantXeth

Has anyone noticed how weak the wirless card is on the X51, that is probably the biggest complaint I have about it. I found that I had to use a usb wireless stick (which I was using on my old comp) to get a decent signal. It is in the same spot as my old computer but the signal is a whole lot weaker if I use the installed card.

Eirreann

Well that isn't good! I'm sorry to hear that!
It seems more and more like Alienware didn't put as much effort into the x51 as it did with the previous systems...

VagrantXeth

Seems like it. I have no complaints about the rest of the system, just that nagging issue with the wireless card. I already had the usb wireless adapter so I didn't have to spend any extra money on it, but it is still a bit of a let down.

sumbula

Crappy Wireless for sure. signal sucked and would become non-existant every few minutes. Bought a USB Linksys AE2500 for $40 at Fred Meyer. Works like a champ now. I feel like disconnecting the built-in wireless card and swapping to an SSD to allow for more overhead when upgrading the GPU in the future. Right now, the i7 model with the GTX555 is an amazing machine to me.

DELL-ChrisM

All,

We are still investigating this issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19437555.aspx

Replacement Wireless cards purchased by customers -
Linksys Cisco Refurbished AE1000 2.4GHz/5GHz Dual-Band 300Mbps Wireless 11N USB Adapter with Extension Cable Docking http://bit.ly/HcTUCc
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 Wifi Half Mini Wireless Plug-In Card Data Transfer Rate 300 Bps http://amzn.to/GY8AJm
Intel Ultimate N 633ANHMW IEEE 802.11n (draft) Wi-Fi Adapter - Mini PCI Express http://amzn.to/Hg6LWz
50' ethernet cable
Linksys AE1200 usb wireless adaptor + usb extension cable
Rosewill RNX-N180UBE external USB wireless adapter

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Welcome Chris...Thanks for posting that info. Right now my X51 is connected via CAT5 cable, I'll keep an eye on this though.

GoHack

My new X51 is right next to my Apple AirPort Express Base Station, less than 8 ft, and I'm getting only 3 bars out of 5 on it. I'm only showing one other WiFi signal, other than my own, w/it.

With my laptop, I get a full 5 out or 5 bars w/it, and it sees well over half a dozen other units in the neighborhood.

I don't know it is the metal shielding of the X51, the antennas, or a bad WiFi card. I ordered a couple of new cards on eBay, the Bigfoot Killer 1102, and an Intel 6250, and I'll see if either one works better than the Dell 1502. If there is no change, then it has to be either the case shielding or the antennas.

During the X51's development, this should of been seen.

Last edited:

jpierson86

I hope I'm not affected by this.... I currently have an Xbox 360 and a laptop on my room, both on wifi, and have not had problems gaming or streaming 1080p from Netflix. If I can't do that with my new Alienware I will be very disappointed.

GoHack

My new X51 is right next to my Apple AirPort Express Base Station, less than 8 ft, and I'm getting only 3 bars out of 5 on it. I'm only showing one other WiFi signal, other than my own, w/it.

With my laptop, I get a full 5 out or 5 bars w/it, and it sees well over half a dozen other units in the neighborhood.

I don't know it is the metal shielding of the X51, the antennas, or a bad WiFi card. I ordered a couple of new cards on eBay, the Bigfoot Killer 1102, and an Intel 6250, and I'll see if either one works better than the Dell 1502. If there is no change, then it has to be either the case shielding or the antennas.

During the X51's development, this should of been seen.
Update:

I replaced the Dell 1502 Wireless card in my X51 w/an Intel 6205. It works a lot better. :)
I'm now getting a full signal of 5 out 5 bars, as well as receiving multiple other WiFi units in the neighborhood.

I pulled the Intel 6205 out of my Acer 4830TG laptop, and replaced it w/a Bigfoot Killer 1102. While I have no numbers, it does appear to be noticiably faster, as well as receiving more local WiFi signals than what the Intel 6205 did.

VagrantXeth

That is a cost effective way of fixing the issue. Has anyone else replaced the wireless network adapter and had similar results?

sway

Im fixing to replace mine, im having issues a well. I seem to lose signal every so often on top of it being low when 15ft away from router.

sway

Just ordered a Intel card from newegg for 18$, I'll post how it does once it's in. I lost connection for the last time this morning, my m11x was right next to the x51 with full bars... and only had 2 bars on the x51.

sway

Would a Bigfoot Killer 1102 be compatible with the X51?
I think so... considering the person a few posts up swapped his laptop card to the x51, and replaced the laptop card with the bf killer. I was going by looks when I ordered mine, looks like the ones the dell guy posted.

GoHack

I installed the Bigfoot Killer 1102 in my X51, and it works fine.

I'm getting about the same as the Intel 6205, signal wise, which is a lot better than the stock Dell 1502.

I plan to keep the 1102 in the X51, and buy another one for my laptop.

Oh, while I had the X51 open, I added an SSD as well, fitting it on top of the DVD.

Last edited:

jpierson86

I installed the Bigfoot Killer 1102 in my X51, and it works fine.

I'm getting about the same as the Intel 6205, signal wise, which is a lot better than the stock Dell 1502.

I plan to keep the 1102 in the X51, and buy another one for my laptop.

Oh, while I had the X51 open, I added an SSD as well, fitting it on top of the DVD.
I wish I had known one of those would work before I bought a USB wifi thingy in preparation. Darn it!

Where did you find the 1102 online?

sway

I wish I had known one of those would work before I bought a USB wifi thingy in preparation. Darn it!

Where did you find the 1102 online?
Newegg has them and I think amazon, but youll get the same results with a cheaper Intel card.