Wireless Keyboard & Mouse?

recDNA

Hi! I'm a brand new x51 owner and thrilled to find this forum.

I am having a problem with my x51 windows 7 using a wireless keyboard. I have a cheap Modtek 2.4 gHz keyboard and dongle. It works fine when I set it up and continues to work when I unplug the wired keyboard however when I do a restart the computer hangs in a bios error and windows 7 won't load.

The error message is unable to detect usb kb device press f1 to continue f2 for settings. If I hit f1 on wireless keyboard it isn't recognized. Unplugging and replugging dongle doesn't help. Same tOnlyhing happens whether I use usb 2 or usb 3 ports for dongle. Only way to get windows started is to connect a regular usb keyboard and press f1. As soon as windows 7 loads the wireless keyboard immediately works again. No re-installation of drivers or anything.

USB controller is enabled in bios.

Neither Dell nor Microsoft Windows 7 support have a clue. Manufacturer modtek no idea.

Anybody know a way to fix?

if not can anyone recommend another wireless backlit keyboard and mouse that will work with windows 7 x51 and is recognized on a restart so windows loads normally? I hate wires all over my desk!

Thanks!

Maelstrom

Don't any of you x51 users use a wireless keyboard?

I'm pretty sure that there are some on this site, but I don't know how often the get on or check for new threads.

I don't use a wireless keyboard or mouse but the best advice I can give you is go to Newegg or which ever site you use to buy PC parts and search for the highest rated wireless keyboard and mice then try to find ones within your price range.

recDNA

Thats how I got the one I have. LOL The Logitech k800 was recommended but it is very expensive so I'd kind of like to hear from an alienware user first. I worry that it might be a peculiarity of our system.... like the fact no built. in bluetooth is available. I tried a bluetooth dongle and keyboard with exactly the same results. Worked fine... hung on restart.

bbond007

I use a Logitech K800 backlit wireless KB. I also have a Logitech mouse paired to the same dongle.

It works in the bios on the back USB2 ports but not on the front. I also find the range on the mouse is better if I use a USB extension to separate the dongle from the computer a few inches.

I have 2 of these keyboards and really like them. The stay charged amazingly long for being backlit.

Maybe you can disable halt on errors in the BIOS. I know some have settings for that.

Last edited:

recDNA

I'll try k800. Thanks! I returned the other one.

You can only disable stop on error for the boot you're in. Since kb wouldn't connect til windows loaded I couldn't do it. If I connect both keyboards it is no help because then it would beet anyway. I even called windows support. No way around it without seriously altering the registry. Not my cup of tea.

bbond007

You won't be unhappy with the k800.

What I really like is how you can pair other Logitech devices to the same dongle and have it all work together even if you move the dongle to another PC. It is a real shame their gamepad is not compatible with that unifying technology.

still, It seems rather ridiculous that a computer sold as a game console alternative won't boot without a keyboard attached. Maybe that is fixed on a newer BIOS.

Last edited:

Commy1

I can safely recommend the Razer Naga Epic or Mamba for a wireless mouse. They are a bit on the expensive side but they do the job so so well.

recDNA

You won't be unhappy with the k800.

What I really like is how you can pair other Logitech devices to the same dongle and have it all work together even if you move the dongle to another PC. It is a real shame their gamepad is not compatible with that unifying technology.

still, It seems rather ridiculous that a computer sold as a game console alternative won't boot without a keyboard attached. Maybe that is fixed on a newer BIOS.

According to Windows rep no version of Windows will boot without a keyboard. What pisses me off is I HAD a working keyboard. All I can think of is drivers were unsigned.

What aggravates me is alienware support says they don't support problems with wireless keyboards even if I bought it from them! Clearly if x51 won't boot with k800 something is wrong with it, I have a warranty, and Dell says tough darts.

bbond007

I don't know what that windows REP was telling you....

Windows SERVER does not run without KB? BS

recDNA

No, not server, regular computer os. So no unmodified version of windows for a computer in home or office will boot without a keyboard

bbond007

No, not server, regular computer os. So no unmodified version of windows for a computer in home or office will boot without a keyboard

Well, I just disconnected all keyboards and mice from my X51 and Windows8 booted up just fine... make sure you are on the latest BIOS A13...

recDNA

My Bios is A00 from March 2013
I'm in Windows 7
I downloaded and tried to run A13 and got a not supported on this board error. Hope I didn't screw up anything.

Under bios boot did you choose no errors, keyboard only, or all errors setting?

bbond007

Under bios boot did you choose no errors, keyboard only, or all errors setting?

In my BIOS I did not see any error settings, but it appears that you have a newer motherboard. If i had to guess I'd pick "no errors".

Mine is a Ivy Bridge 3rd gen CPU... I purchased it refurbished so its a gen behind.

I'm sure you did not screw anything up because it sounds like the application was smart enough to detect the conflict before causing damage, because ya, that would be bad.

I really do think that the KB thing is a bug that will be fixed for you in the future :)

I think if you go to the Dell site, you can put in your service ID and you'll get an option for your correct drivers/firmware.

"A00" sounds kinds like its in its early stages.

Finally, if all else fails, maybe you can report that as a _BUG_ in Alienware support. They are trying sell this thing as a console replacement / media center device and it won't boot without a KB. I think they went so far as to call it the steambox. The older one does not have that issue. So it is a bug. Perhaps they will fix it then :)

Last edited:

recDNA

Well I'm back to my original theory that the modtek wireless kb had unsigned drivers. This would generate an error on boot and boot stops and goes to f1 to continue on errors. Apparently no kb at all is not an error but unsigned driver is. (windows rep clueless what else is new?) Manufacturers have to pay serious loot monthly to keep their drivers signed. Logitech will have signed drivers so my solve the problem so I'll wait b4 I file a bug report. (I don't know if there is a specific mechanism to report a bug but if so please tell me how).
I returned the cheap kb to Amazon dealer. Of course I'm losing half the value of the kb on postage I paid for it to come and postage I paid to send it back.

Tha Alienware support guy wasn't even familiar with my bios... kept saying look here for this and look here for that and acted baffled my choices weren't what he expected. I wish I could get decent support from dell. I'm really mad at myself for extending to 3 yrs. Alienware doesn't even get support for chat! You have to call them and get a script reader dude with a heavy accent.

recDNA

odd, i logged in with service tags & several downloads listed but that bios wasn't

recDNA

Just got back from Best Buy. Logitech K800 works fine. No boot error issues. Lots. of stress for me trying to save $ on a cheap backlit kb. I've had luck with stuff like that in the past but not this time. K810 on bluetooth dongle (cheap ebay bluetooth) had same issue. I don't need bluetooth now but I wonder if a higher quality bluetooth dongle would allow booting with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse? I actually prefer the key spacing on my old Dell bluetooth mouse combo. but my xps 420 had bluetooth built in.

The X51-R2 is by far the fastest computer I've ever worked on. I might have to try battlefield.