Worth to Upgrade My X51 R3 with the Following?

Je3HonG

Jun 9, 2016
Hi Guy,
My current X51 R3 is stock without any upgrade yet with the specification:
Processor: i7-6700K
Ram: 16GB
Drive: 512GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA
Power Supply: 330Watt
Graphic: GTX 960 2GB
Chassis: Liquid Cooled

I'm planning to upgrade ram to 32GB, add one more drive of 1TB SSD SATA, upgrade to GTX 1060 6GB.

My question would be,
1. It is worth to upgrade to 32GB of ram?

2. With the current drive, is there any extra SATA slot to add extra SSD or I've to remove the old 1TB drive?

3. Actually I prefer to get a GTX1080 but the required power supply is higher. Or it is possible to go with GTX1080 with the current 330Watt?

Appreciate some help of information regarding these.

Thank you.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
1. Not if you're only gaming
2. There are two drive bays so you will probably have to remove the HDD to add a second SSD unless there is a sata to dual m.2 adapter available
3. The 1080 power draw is probably too high to get the full benefit of the card. I have heard people having success with the 2060 or 2070 though. You need a blower style card that exhausts the hot air out the back of the card though.

Je3HonG

Jun 9, 2016
1. Not if you're only gaming
2. There are two drive bays so you will probably have to remove the HDD to add a second SSD unless there is a sata to dual m.2 adapter available
3. The 1080 power draw is probably too high to get the full benefit of the card. I have heard people having success with the 2060 or 2070 though. You need a blower style card that exhausts the hot air out the back of the card though.
1. Gaming plus some CAD usage. Is 32GB will help out on the CAD?

2. But for my current 512GB PCIe SSD does this taken up the bays? I thought it located just above the GPU. Will try to open up the chassis to view the actual arrangements. My worry is the motherboard does not have extra SATA port for the second drive.

3. Say if I go for 20 series GPU, won't it bottleneck with the current CPU? Not sure about this, hope to get the best out of the upgrade.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
CAD could use the extra RAM so you may want to go for 32gb.

I've never opened up an R3 so I'm not 100% sure of how the drives are physically setup in there.

Bottlenecking is always a concern but it shouldn't be too bad with your CPU and a 2060. You can overclock on the R3 which wasn't possible with earlier models. I haven't seen any benchmarks though.

I have a 3gb GTX 1060 in my R1 that has a single fan and not the blower style. I have to run games with the side panel removed as the fan runs at 100% all the time when the panel is attached. A blower style card is highly recommended. You have the watercooled CPU which helps but there is almost no venting in these small machines. Some longer cards also require you to remove the small intake fan so it can physically fit.

Je3HonG

Jun 9, 2016
CAD could use the extra RAM so you may want to go for 32gb.

I've never opened up an R3 so I'm not 100% sure of how the drives are physically setup in there.

Bottlenecking is always a concern but it shouldn't be too bad with your CPU and a 2060. You can overclock on the R3 which wasn't possible with earlier models. I haven't seen any benchmarks though.

I have a 3gb GTX 1060 in my R1 that has a single fan and not the blower style. I have to run games with the side panel removed as the fan runs at 100% all the time when the panel is attached. A blower style card is highly recommended. You have the watercooled CPU which helps but there is almost no venting in these small machines. Some longer cards also require you to remove the small intake fan so it can physically fit.
Will definitely go for more latest GPU, but with current shortage of stock on GPU it kind of hard to get one.

Do I need to any special adaptor/conversion pin if I opt for these 2060 model? Just curious say with my current 6 pin, can it connected to a 8 pin GPU directly?

mf9

Oct 19, 2013
London
Re: “Do I need to any special adaptor/conversion pin if I opt for these 2060 model? Just curious say with my current 6 pin, can it connected to a 8 pin GPU directly?”, your new graphic card may come with a dual 6 pin to 8 pin converter as mine did ( albeit 4 years ago ). Else you can buy them online.

Je3HonG

Jun 9, 2016
Re: “Do I need to any special adaptor/conversion pin if I opt for these 2060 model? Just curious say with my current 6 pin, can it connected to a 8 pin GPU directly?”, your new graphic card may come with a dual 6 pin to 8 pin converter as mine did ( albeit 4 years ago ). Else you can buy them online.
Good to head that the card may come with converter, can start sourcing the GPU for my upgrade.

Je3HonG

Jun 9, 2016
Hi Guy,
Have successfully install the amplifier with a 12GB RTX 3060, but want to ask how to not shared my system memory.
My 16GB Ram became 8GB after connecting the amplifier. Now Nvidia System Information showing total available graphics memory is 20GB.

Je3HonG

Jun 9, 2016
So after using the amplifier for a week, the desktop is now without sleep mode. It is usual for this to happen when an AGA connected to X51 R3? Try following the step posted on most website regarding how to enable back sleep mode, in the end only hibernate mode shown instead of sleep mode.

- Any way to reenable Sleep Mode with AGA connected?

Beside that, in my CommandCenter AlienAdrenaline Graphics Amplifier does not show the GPU Status (Integrated GP (iGPU), Internal GPU (dGPU), External GPU (xGPU))and Graphics Sync Button thingy.

- Again everything seem to work with the AGA, but why does the CommandCenter is not showing AGA?

The current version of the software on my X51 R3 is
Bios: 1.2.15
Nvidia: 471.11
CommandCenter: 4.5.18
GraphicsAmplifier: 2.0.15

While waiting for my new ram, note that I've to remove the fan so to install the ram.

- If that the case, can I remove the whole liquid cooler (will the liquid leak or this cooler is a sealed type?)

- If yes, can I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?

Appreciate for some help, as I've tried to search around the web and can't really find any video or even user that have done so.