test

X-51 questions

LoneGunMan77v

Have had my alien for about 6 months now and have noticed when playing with alienfx the other night it wont change the lights on my computer anymore even thou my keyboard and mouse will still change colour so wondered if any of you guys have experienced the same thing?....Also with graphics cards and our psu limitations would increasing the memory of the card affect much such as going from a 2gb 670 to a 4gb 670 or a 660 or 760.....Have any members on here yet installed a 760 in the x-51 and if so how does it perform....am on stock 660 and trying to look at the limited options for an upgrade as have a feeling that before long I may need to upgrade.

MattyB

Increasing to a 4gb will help a lot if you have a multi-monitor set up or want to use a higher resolution monitor. Other than that you probably won't see much difference. I'm sure Sway will be happy to confirm that.
With your lights, you could try uninstalling command center and then reinstalling. Hopefully it's not a hardware failure but even if it is you should still be under warranty.

sway

I'd go with a 4gb 760, games are needing more gpu memory all the time. The bf4 requirements are 3gb gpu. You'll need it more for high resolution and multi monitor like matty said, but I wouldn't go with 2gb anymore buying new.

tapping from the Nexus 4

LoneGunMan77v

Thanks guys both helpful points and advice....as for resolution I use my 42in HDTV for my display and only desire to play at 1080p and have little interest at this point in time of getting a new display or multi display to increase resolution,am happy with a single HDTV display.So with this in mind will a gtx760 keep me gaming at max settings for a good while into the future..?

sway

Thanks guys both helpful points and advice....as for resolution I use my 42in HDTV for my display and only desire to play at 1080p and have little interest at this point in time of getting a new display or multi display to increase resolution,am happy with a single HDTV display.So with this in mind will a gtx760 keep me gaming at max settings for a good while into the future..?

There's no future proofing, that especially goes for gpu's. If you wanted to not worry for a while then the 780 would be the way to go but it won't work in the x51. 4gb 760 is a good choice, but with games getting better all the time you never know how long you truly have.

tapping from the Nexus 4

LoneGunMan77v

Sound advice and to be truthful its the reply I always have in my head,So am thinking I will go with the 4gb 760 or wait a little longer on the 8 series and see what improvements to the cards performance and power consumption requirements have been made if any at all....but in truth am more than happy with my x-51 and 660.

sway

Sound advice and to be truthful its the reply I always have in my head,So am thinking I will go with the 4gb 760 or wait a little longer on the 8 series and see what improvements to the cards performance and power consumption requirements have been made if any at all....but in truth am more than happy with my x-51 and 660.

If you can live with that gpu till around May next year, that's when the lower powered 800 series is supposed to hit. I think it'll be 22nm.

tapping from the Nexus 4

TeddyH

I have an x51 r2. Two days out of the box. I also lost my ability to control the computer light in AlienFX command center. After I installed my TactX mouse only the keyboard and mouse colors could be changed, the computer colors didn't even show up in AlienFX. I uninstalled command center and re-installed from the TactX Install CD, still no computer. I downloaded from the internet driver site, installed command center again and still no computer color, just the keyboard and moue?

LoneGunMan77v

Same here TeddyH all was good with the alienfx until I got my Tactx keyboard and mouse I have tried the same things as you and I can only control the keyboard and mouse color now.My computer will only change color when I come out of sleep mode but not a user controlled colour just a random blue color and purple eyes on the alien head.