x51 330w psu titan x?

crazelunatic

Feb 21, 2016
...ok so as a sort of swan song to my x51 Iv'e decided to undertake the task of outfitting it with the most powerful gpu on the market (perhaps my last upgrade). As of now I have a gtx 980 in my machine and all runs fine, when idle or doing less demanding tasks. If I want to run some games in uhd that are a bit outdated that's also no problem. However, when running more modern games in uhd or even hd for that matter, my machine will shutoff... Unless I underclock my gfx card. Underclocking my gtx 980 has done wonders for me as I am able to run most modern games in uhd (albeit pseudo uhd as it is upscaled utilizing a seiki upscaling cable [hdmi with 30fps]) Id like to max out my games in uhd or 4096 x 2160 with all settings maxed @ 60fps. Particularly a game like rise of the tomb raider or black ops III. I can physically fit the titan x in my rig as I have gotten rid of the blower fan near the alienware faceplate. So here is what I'm wondering... Being that I run most of my games @ 1920x1080 (upscaled to 3840x2160/30fps) and my gfx card is underclocked (utilizing a minimum of 165w and a maximum of 500w) I notice no performance issues. If I were to have a titan x (minimum 250w and maximum 600w) and I underclock it I have confidence that my machine will run fine when browsing standard web pages, doing tasks on the os and viewing java/flash content but I'm not sure if I would receive a performance hit like say when running rise of the tomb raider @ all settings maxed... Ive seen a user by the name called freshydef who tried to outfit his x51 with a titan x but not sure If he was trolling or not... any suggestions community? I don't want to purchase a gfx card for a thousand bux only to find out that I will have performance issues with it. Thank you all for your time.

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York
First things first, shut downs are most likely bcz. you got EVGA their Power settings are rediculous . You can fix that thru flashing BIOS. If you need help just let me know. Underclocked TITAN X will not do you any good ;) and no it will not run on a 330W PSU, however if you really want to go there it is possible but you'll have to buy and run that TITAN off the external PSU . The biggest problem you will have is HEAT which will require Physical Mod. to the case and its not worth it.

Reactions: crazelunatic

crazelunatic

Feb 21, 2016
@KillerBee33... Ok gotcha, I would imagine a gtx 980 ti would have the same issues as getting a gtx titan x on my alienware x51? Would a pair of 6 pin female/6+2 pin male, y cable adapter allow me to put either the titan x or 980 ti in my machine? One last thing... I can find guides on how to flash bios and mess with power settings for gpu but it really doesn't bother me to underlock my gtx 980 using evga software. Unless I can get a performance boost and run certain games in uhd?... If you wanna link me to guides or write one out and it won't bother you then thank you... Liked the cyberpowerpc that's in the link (form factor), gonna check out the specs and see if I should sell my x51... Though not selling the hdd as I have too many games I enjoy on there.

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York
Last edited:

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York
For now just do this, Download GPU-Z , in Device Manager Disable GTX 980 then folow these steps to Save your Factory BIOS.
You can post it somewhere or email it to me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 2

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York
2nd External PSU just to power that 980ti and if thats done your next big issue will be Temperatures . You can crank up the FAN, remove DVD drive and have one side of the case open at all times but in my opinion its not worth the trouble and the looks ;)