test

X51 and USB?

JDThird

My new X51 is my media center PC. I have the IR receiver connecting via USB. Worked great with my Mac Mini, but I'm finding with the X51, I often have to disconnect and reconnect, or just reboot the PC, to get it to work again. I've tried multiple ports, both the USB 2 and 3, and same thing. Since it doesn't appear to be a port issue (as other things such as a USB drive I have for my kid's cartoons or bluetooth dongles and such never drop) I'm guessing there's just something with the IR receiver that the Alienware isn't happy with.

Anyone else using Media Center with an IR receiver? Similar experience, or does it just work fine on yours?

Unfortunately I gave my other receiver to a friend when he bought an older mac mini from me to use it as a media center, so I don't have a spare offhand to swap in to test. Figured I'd see if anyone else had anything like this before I order a new one from Amazon.

Thanks!

John

yikes81

are your settings set to power saver mode? if so i think the system turns off usb ports when idle for a period of time.

JDThird

I set it to high power and disabled hibernation and sleep, but I checked and did find a USB selective option that was enabled, so I disabled that. Thanks for the reminder, I forgot I hadn't gone through all the individual options in there!

JDThird

Nope, no joy. Happened again. Time to order a new one and hope it's just the device, not some weird incompatibility with the IR receivers overall. :)

JDThird

Turns out it's a USB 3 problem on my system. NOTHING will work more than 5 minutes or so when plugged into either USB 3 port, but everything that fails there (including every USB 3 drive I have that work on every other PC) works fine in the USB 2 slots. May be time to get Dell involved as there may be a hardware problem with my system... Lovely... Nothing more annoying than USB problems when you're trying to copy off a terabyte of files from it so you can image a slim system drive to a SSD drive...