test

X51 aparently gave up the ghost

JDThird

I've had this thing for about 2.5 years now, i7, GTX 660. Been using as my Windows Media Center PC. This afternoon had a lot of stuttering and issues with a 15GB MKV file that played fine previously. So I bounced the system, figuring I'd see if a refresh helped at all, then checked updates, found a few Windows 8.1 updates. During the middle of the updates, it went black. Never came back. Powered off, on, no splash screen, no Alienware logo, nothing. So i yanked it out of the entertainment center and plugged into the GAEMS Xbox suitcase I have. No joy. Opened it up, pulled the Nvidia out and tried the onboard graphics - still nothing. Pulled the drive, figuring I'd at least try to get an error code - nothing. Fans spin, nothing else happened. Pulled the RAM, and that at least got me a beeping error. After 15 or 20 minutes of various things, I did once get it to boot to the desktop using the onboard graphics, but I shut down at that point, tried the Nvidia card again, no joy. and can't get it going on the native again now either.

I would have expected to at LEAST get a BIOS splash or something with the drive unplugged. Something to nag at me that it can't find an OS or something.

A few weeks ago during reboots I got a random "can't boot with this BIOS, press F1 for safe bios" or something similar...

Kind of sucks that I spent all the money on this thing to replace the Mac Mini I had used boot camp on previously, only to have it die less than three years later while that older mac mini still works... Anyone else come across anything like this? Any way to try to get it to force a BIOS screen to at least splash?

I did pull power and hold power button for > 30 seconds, had caught that in another forum.

Time to look into the HP Pavilion Mini if I can't get this thing resurrected, so hoping someone has something good I hadn't tried yet.

Thanks

John

Sounds like Hard Drive Failure.
Same thing happened to me.
EFI System partition is on the drive.
Replaced the HDD and restored from a USB 3 ExHDD Acronis True Image backup.

JDThird

Unfortunately nope, drive is fine, and with my sata/USB connector, is seen and no issues in any other computer.

Before things went bad, I'd see the alienware alien head logo when first powered on, just as you'd expect to see any BIOS POST information. That should be showing up even with a bad drive, then showing an error that there was no OS to boot or something I would have expected?