test

X51 as HTPC

MattyB

Just a quick hypothetical question. What would I need to make an X51 into a dedicated HPTC? What software would be required? How would I go about using remotes. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
I have never set an HTPC up before.

VagrantXeth

You would probably need a wireless KB and mouse and likely a wireless controller, since the response on the mouse probably won't be so good. For starters, I would not know too much about remotes though.

Maelstrom

From what I read Windows Media Center actually fulfills the software requirements pretty well.

VagrantXeth

Where would you go to get the remote for Windows Media Center and would that require a separate IR peripheral?

Maelstrom

Where would you go to get the remote for Windows Media Center and would that require a separate IR peripheral?

You wouldn't need a remote specifically for WMC just for the device in general. Most of the controls a standard remote has are replicated on a keyboard to begin with. Arrow keys, sound control, play/pause, fast forward, rewind. All you basically need is to have a wireless device that can send these signals.

MattyB

Cheers for that. Someone has suggested XBMC instead of WMC. Anyone used that? A remote would be nice but a small wireless keyboard should be ok I guess.

This is just an idea for the moment.

DDuB420

Good programs to use for your HTPC
Boxee,XBMC, and Plex

Do you own a smart phone?
Use that as a remote/keyboard and mouse. There are many apps that will let you achieve this.
I use RealVNC to remote into my HTPC from my iPhone. I have total control right from an easy UI on my iPhone 5/4S.

MattyB

Yeah I have the iPhone 5. So it's all pretty easy to set everything up? I want to start getting better connected around my house.

DDuB420

If you choose to use RealVNC like I'am, you'll need to get 2 things...

1. The app on your iPhone
2. The app on your HTPC

Launch the app on the PC and let the built in server run in the background
Open the viewer app on your iphone while connected to the same network as the HTPC
Connect using the HTPC's IP address and whatever password you set in the VNC setup

To get more advanced...
You can open a port on your router (ie 5933), set a port forward of the IP of your HTPC to your open port.
On the VNC server settings, set the server to listen on that port you opened.
Use a whatsmyip .com website to find your routers external IP.
With your iPhone on 3G/LTE, open the VNC app
Connect to the HTPC from your carriers network by using the routers external IP and your port (ex. 66.208.45.234:5933 )
Now you can access it from anywhere that your cell has signal. :cool:

DDuB420

Don't go the advanced route. The other way is very easy.
You just need the prerequisites ;)

MattyB

I think that's the way to go for starters. Its all just a pipedream at the moment

Maelstrom

I think that's the way to go for starters. Its all just a pipedream at the moment

It doesn't actually sound all that expensive or difficult. Heck, you could probably do it with one of those spare Alienwares you have lying around.

MattyB

No, I want an X51 for it. I could probably use the Aurora I dont use but it's a bit beastly for the living room

VagrantXeth

Is the app you were talking about available for the iPad. I know you can use iPhone apps on the iPad, but they generally tend to look rather ugly on the iPad. Now if there was an iPad version, that would be cool.

DDuB420

Is the app you were talking about available for the iPad. I know you can use iPhone apps on the iPad, but they generally tend to look rather ugly on the iPad. Now if there was an iPad version, that would be cool.

Yes it's available as an iPad app.

DDuB420

Yeah, I would just go with a wireless keyboard and WMC or similar.

Just seems like more stuff lying around that's not needed to me.
But that's just how I'am, I got 1 smart remote that controls 8 devices and my iPhone that controls everything else.
Leaves more room for my AW on the livingroom table instead of a ton of remotes and a keyboard.