x51 boots to black screen after nvidia driver install

SopeDish

My x51 started loading to a black screen (no HDMI sgnal) last week. After some trouble shooting and reseating the Nvidia 660, I did a clean install of win7. During driver installation the problem persisted. Windows boots to a black screen after the nvidia driver install restart.

My x51 is still under warranty. So dell sent a tech with a new card. Installed the new card today and windows still boots to a black screen with nvidia drivers installed.

So I've tried drivers from the dell site and drivers from nvidia.com. I've tried different HDMI cables and ports and the 660 has been replaced. I'm sure dell will want me to send my system in, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. It's been down a week and I'm sure they will have it another week or two.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Also I uses a 55" Samsung smart TV as a monitor and the only means I have to connect is HDMI.

Scottao

Are you using the HDMI on the motherboard? I don't feel like crawling under my desk right now to see if the card actually has an HDMI out. If you're using that, could it be the Optimus tech screwing up?

SopeDish

I've made some progress. I tried connecting to another TV and all is fine with the x51. Seems something is wrong between the Samsung and win7.
Not sure what. The system worked fine on it for months and the TV's HDMI port is fine because my PS3 connects on the port just fine. The TV is a 8000 series smart TV and I'm not sure if and update is causing the problem. In the past I've always had Sony TVs and now I'm kicking myself for not remaining loyal.
If anyone can think of a windows or Nvidia setting that maybe causing this I'd appreciate the advise.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Checked all my display/nvidia settings and hooked the x51 back up to the samsung, everything should be in order. However, win still goes black and TV indicates no HDMI signal. Samsung's manual is no help at all. Searched the problem and found nothing helpful. A Samsung support thread claimed it was a compatability issue with win7, but doesn't explain why this setup worked for a few months and then went sour.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

The problem has been resolved. A Firmware update by the Smart TV was causing the conflict. I had to do a factory reset on the TV and now all is well.

Hopefully people who stumble across this thread can save themselves the headaches I had to endure.

DDuB420

Thanks for updating the thread, I'm sure someone will resolve their issues after seeing this :cool: