X51 Cooling, Front Fan replacement?

Hello,

I'm slowly upgrading my early base spec X51 that came with the GT 545 and the I5-2320.

So far I've only swapped the HDD for a Samsung 840 SSD, but have a NVGA 760 GPU and Dell 330 power brick on the way from Amazon.

Like many, my X51 suffers from excessive heat and FAN NOISE, even with just the 545 fitted. I would like to improve cooling without cutting up the case and was wondering if anyone has upgraded the front fan? the one below the Alien head.

Fitting a better fan would surely increase the airflow if only by a bit. Anyone know of a good quality fan fit for the job?

I've looked myself but i'm not sure of the size I need? if anyone has any advice or help with sizes it would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys,

Thehillchild

ejohnson

May 4, 2012
MN

ejohnson

May 4, 2012
MN
No need for a adapter. The nice thing with these fans is that all the conectors are the same, some just lack a few of the extra wires.

Just plug it in like you would normally, there will be one pin not used.

As for installing it, you need to remove the front plate (cd slot cover)
To do so you need to take apart both sides. One of the sides has a kinda hidden screw, its next to the motherboard under some wires. The front plate is held on with some clips and just pops off.
2604.1333397489320.sidedoor-2.jpg-550x0.jpg

About halfway down this thread is a step by step to remove that fan.
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19509133.aspx

Thanks for the info Mike206

I'm not sure what the max rpm control plug is? Is it included with the fan?

Im kind of worried about the Noctua having only three wires against the originals four.

Thanks

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Kind of off topic but ive also ordered this>

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-4044951008629-SE-Fan-80x80x20/dp/B001U0GLXO/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_t_1_2KAH

To replace the CPU fan, same goes, original has four wires this one has three. is one wire not needed?

Thanks.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but this is one that I've been wondering about for a week.

Does replacing the 60mm intake fan with 4 pins with a 3 pin fan still allow software such as Speedfan to control the power to the fans?

The sales rep at a local store said that it wouldn't, but this thread kinda implies that it will.

Rhosoftherovers

Feb 19, 2018
No need for a adapter. The nice thing with these fans is that all the conectors are the same, some just lack a few of the extra wires.

Just plug it in like you would normally, there will be one pin not used.

As for installing it, you need to remove the front plate (cd slot cover)
To do so you need to take apart both sides. One of the sides has a kinda hidden screw, its next to the motherboard under some wires. The front plate is held on with some clips and just pops off.
2604.1333397489320.sidedoor-2.jpg-550x0.jpg

About halfway down this thread is a step by step to remove that fan.
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19509133.aspx

On this photograph, which fan is the System fan? I have run the ePSA Pre boot System Assessment and my CPU fans and Power fan are fine, but not my System fan. Many thanks in advance.