X51 CPU fan issue

Ghostguy

Hey guys, registered on the board just to post this issue. I've had my x51 for a over a year now, and it's ran fine. Recently however, I began receiving a "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message after several chugs and temporary black screens. I read that this could be due to several factors; out of date drivers, misappropriated memory loads, and overheating. I went through the software list and everything checked out, then I decided to pop the case open and see if it wasn't an issue with overheating. Well, it must have been longer than I thought since the last cleaning, cause the CPU fan was choking on dust. I dismounted the fan and blasted it clean with some compressed air, then did a once or twice around the case as well to dislodge any build up. I then reseated the fan, closed the case up and turned her on.

The computer booted up to the desktop without issues as it had a thousand times before, except this time after 15 seconds or so of idling at the desktop, the CPU fan kicked in to high gear and wouldn't let up. I restarted the comp and found the same issue, so I went online and found that some folks had issue when these were first shipped with the fan being improperly seated. So, I tampered with the thing for about an hour, positioning the fan then turning it on. Every time it would boot up the same as before, and 15 seconds of idle would be interrupted by a jet engine on my desk. I called Alienware, but since I'm out of warranty, they're trying to pry 60 bucks out of my hands before they even know what the issue is. So I figured I'd come on here and see if I could get some less expensive help first before I took monetary measures, since I'm out of work and can't really afford a 200 dollar house call.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I see You

Hey guys, registered on the board just to post this issue. I've had my x51 for a over a year now, and it's ran fine. Recently however, I began receiving a "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message after several chugs and temporary black screens. I read that this could be due to several factors; out of date drivers, misappropriated memory loads, and overheating. I went through the software list and everything checked out, then I decided to pop the case open and see if it wasn't an issue with overheating. Well, it must have been longer than I thought since the last cleaning, cause the CPU fan was choking on dust. I dismounted the fan and blasted it clean with some compressed air, then did a once or twice around the case as well to dislodge any build up. I then reseated the fan, closed the case up and turned her on.

The computer booted up to the desktop without issues as it had a thousand times before, except this time after 15 seconds or so of idling at the desktop, the CPU fan kicked in to high gear and wouldn't let up. I restarted the comp and found the same issue, so I went online and found that some folks had issue when these were first shipped with the fan being improperly seated. So, I tampered with the thing for about an hour, positioning the fan then turning it on. Every time it would boot up the same as before, and 15 seconds of idle would be interrupted by a jet engine on my desk. I called Alienware, but since I'm out of warranty, they're trying to pry 60 bucks out of my hands before they even know what the issue is. So I figured I'd come on here and see if I could get some less expensive help first before I took monetary measures, since I'm out of work and can't really afford a 200 dollar house call.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

If your out of warranty then you could take it to any mom and pop computer store that does computer repair and have them look at it, but just a thought did you dismount the whole heatsink? or just the fan, if you did the whole heatsink did you apply new heatsink past? as this is a must you have to clean the old stuff off and put new stuff on. otherwise the heatsink will not work right and cause the cpu to overheat bad.

Ghostguy

Heh, I'm such a computer noob. Yeah that was the issue. I went to Best Buy and got some thermal paste, got some 91% Isopropyl from the store, and some q-tips from my bathroom. A youtube instructional video and 15 minutes later, no more noisy fan. Now, I downloaded a hardware monitor online which is giving me two temperatures. A system temp of 76c and a CPU temp of 36c. After some checking online, it seems the first number is not exactly desirable. Perhaps I incorrectly applied the paste?

I see You

here use this one http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html core temp is what your looking for you will see core 0 and 1 threw 3 mine are around 61 C as its pretty hot in my house right now, but its not to far from my norm which is usally 53 on core 0 and anyware from 55 to 60 on the other ones. But cpuid hwmonitor is the one of the best. Now on the heatsink past you only want to use a small amount and don't spread it around like some do it will spread out from the weight of the heatsink. If you put too much on it becomes a conductor of sorts and makes too much heat A little is all that is needed. not sure what temp program you have but HWmonitor one i have don't show system as a temp. Try the one i listed and see what your core temps are. the cpu temp the program you have is most likely reading the external temp. and that is not bad at all, so see what hwmonitor says about your core temps before you change anything.