test

X51 CPU Temperature

michaelbyz23

Hello guys, what are you temperature (idle, and max load) for the CPU?
Mine idles around 60C and Max out to 94C with Prime 95 before heat sink was replaced. After I had the heat sink replaced, doesnt help too. The temperatures were similar to the stock heat sink.

I have a blog post on this issue, feel free to check it out.

http://blog.michaelboon.com

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I've never really checked. Which aftermarket heatsink did you order to replace the one Dell just replaced?

michaelbyz23

I did not order any heat sink. The dell technician came to replace the heat sink with a new heat sink, but same model. Any other aftermarket heat sink recommended for X51 to reduce the heat issue?

sway

You can't replace the heat sink with aftermarket bc the stock one is specially designed for the x51 to dispense heat out. A few people have tried a few different ones that fit, and they make the temp sore into triple digits and the comp shuts off.

With the x51 your stuck with the basic changes unless you decide to go the mod route.

tappin from a paranoid Note II

Last edited:

michaelbyz23

what is ur idle and max temperature for x51?
btw we have the same setup, i have the m11x r1 with 256 gb crucial m4, and going to install the 128gb ssd samsung 840 pro on x51 soon when the cables arrive.

sway

I'm not sure what my temps are now but when I had the sapphire gpu it was a lot higher bc of it blowing hot air into the case. Now that I have the 670 it's cooler all around. It's a bad choice to go with any other designed gpu for the x51 bc of the space, that tunnel design blows out that air. After I set up my fan curves with precision, my gpu in a hard gaming session doesn't get past 70.

tappin from a paranoid Note II

michaelbyz23

hmm, if you could check with core temp or cpuid hwmonitor and post here it will be great! I would love to see more reference. Thanks :)

Xtrmx51

One of the best mods I did was take the stock heat sink(it's good cause it has a copper core most aftermarket dont) and remove all the extra plastic surrounding the heat sink. The way dell has it that plastic just traps all the heat right on the cpu! I made mine look like intels stock cooler with all the fins exposed. Then flipped the fan so it blew down like everother PC on the planet. That dropped temps 20c on load! I actually went so far as to install one exhaust fan mounted in the back out side the x51. It run very cool now