X51 custom build!?

Lumix357

Feb 2, 2014
Slovenia
Hi!
I'm gonna get straight to the point.
As I'm from EU not USA the X51 is around 1150 euro for i7 4770, R9 270x which is much more expensive than in USA where it is 890 euro.
So what I want to do is build my custom X51, because it would be much cheaper for me.
I can get alienware x51 case and the power adapter (330w) of ebay for very reasonable price. Then I want to put in i7 4770, R9 270x, 8gb 1600mhz ram, 1tb sata III hard drive and some random mini-ITX mobo (I'm correct that X51 uses mini itx form factor right?). Okay none of the above should cause problems at all only I'm a bit sceptical about the mobo. I'm afraid that if I go with some random mini-ITX (not the stock one dell uses) I won't be able to fit everything in because of different components slots on motherboard which will probably be place elsewhere, and also am a little afraid where the back mobo ports will be positioned, I need those to fit those holes on X51 case.
So I guess my question is can I use different mini-ITX mobo or do I need to buy the original one (it cost pretty much, around 300 euro or something so not really much of an option)?

Before you judge me, the same build that costs 890€ in USA (not included shipping, customs and 22% tax), 1150€ in Europe and if I can pull this of I can have it for around 700€ which would be perfect.

Best regards.

STDVirus

Nov 30, 2013
Olympia,wa
I have seen some ppl use a aftermarket board however they back of the x51 doesn't have a place for the backplate so they have to cut and make the MB fit. It would be a lot easier to just get a AW MB like a bare bones system or just do what i did and start with the base model x51 and build it up with the parts you want. I got mine for $475 and just upgraded it.

Lumix357

Feb 2, 2014
Slovenia
I have seen some ppl use a aftermarket board however they back of the x51 doesn't have a place for the backplate so they have to cut and make the MB fit. It would be a lot easier to just get a AW MB like a bare bones system or just do what i did and start with the base model x51 and build it up with the parts you want. I got mine for $475 and just upgraded it.

Yes I found alienware x51 barbone for 140 uk pounds but it doesn't ship to my country so would need to wait for another one to come up.. Do you know where would be the best place to get barebone?
Btw I see that you're using gtx 680 in your alienware, I would like to put the same gpu inside but I've seen dell doesn't recommend this. How is it working for you? If the 330W power supply is enough to run this card then I guess my question is how is the heat inside? any problems or does it run perfectly good?

STDVirus

Nov 30, 2013
Olympia,wa
IDK where you would get a barebones version of this prob ebay would be the only place to find something like this for you.

As for th GTX 680 i love it. But you might have a hard time if you have the i7 4770 in there with the 680, to much power draw between the two together. I've ordered a i7 3770T for mine because its max draw is 45w. The T series is a ultra low watt cpu that still can hit the numbers of the k series and can still be overclocked, there just hard to get. There is a i7 4770T as well that draws only 45w also but i can get a good deal on the i7 3770T so that's what i'm going with. Currently i only have a i3 3220 and it limits me a lot. But i still get A LOT better frame rates then my buddy that has the i7 4770 and a R9 270x that's overclocked.

As for heat you will want to get a program called SpeedFan 4.49 and install it. This will allow you to control the speeds of the fans in your case including the GPU fan. So with this installed and with my settings my card very rarely goes over 76 deg.

There is a couple of us on there running the GTX 680 without issues, mines even overclocked.