test

X51 Looking for Graphics card upgrade.

ZaMaRaY

Hello everyone,
I am kinda new to the computer scene but I know a decent amount of stuff to get by these are my specs
Processor-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
BIOS Version-Alienware A14
Power Supply-330 Watt
Graphics Card-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 I think I have the 4GB I just bought a card on sale XD (On Direct X diagnostic tool my total memory on the card is 4095 MB)
So with that out of the way I have no idea what x51 I have I contacted support and support said that it's just an x51? I asked an R1? they replied an x51. I want to upgrade to a Asus Gefore RTX 2060 since it's a blower. I see the TDP is 160 watt so in my head I'm thinking it would work. My only concern is I see people upgrading the power board. So my question is 1-You guys think this x51 can handle the 2060 2-Do I need to upgrade power board 3-What type of x51 do I have. Thanks!

MattyB

Hello. You have the R1. It’s really an R1 version 2 as the original R1 was released with the i7 2600 processor.
I put a 1060 in mine and it works fine. You’ll definitely need the 330W power supply but beyond that I can’t say for certain how a 2060 will perform.

ZaMaRaY

Thanks for the response. So you don't know how it will perform but will it be able to handle the wattage is my question now you think the 330 watt will be able to handle the 2060?

MattyB

Yes the 330W should be fine. There is a long thread in the forum here discussing the 2070 in the X51. Lots of people have had success.

MURRARI

This is one of the most popular topics on this forum, just check back through the archives and you will see people’s results.

ZaMaRaY

Thanks again guys. I might not be upgrading to a 2060 just because my CPU will be bottle necking it; so I am looking at a PNY 1660 super(blower) will it fit in the X51 case I keep trying to figure out dimensions but I am struggling... Any help is super appreciated!

alanX51

Hey guys! I posted the message below in another thread but this thread seems more current and active so here goes...

Hello all,

First of all I thank you for all your posts as it's really helpful to those of us who know nothing. As my name suggests, I too am an X51 owner, an R1 to be exact. Everything is stock.
  • i7-3770 3.40Mhz CPU
  • OEM GeForce GTX660 GPU
  • 16GB RAM
  • 330w PSU
  • Original Power board (R2 powerboard on the way - D85RT)
  • BIOS Version A14
I'm looking to upgrade my GPU and I've read through countless forums and thought I narrowed it down to one card (EVGA 1060 6gb, single fan) but then I read something and it raised concerns so now I have some questions. Forgive me as I'm learning as I go here.
  1. The OEM Geforce GTX660 GPU is a "blower" style card. Should I only look at "blower" style cards when upgrading?
  2. I've read here and elsewhere that the EVGA 1060 6gb card, although not blower style works nicely. I question though because of the small form factor of the X51, is it safer to stick to a "blower" style card so that the GPU is used as originally built and intended? I assumed that because of the limited space that maybe getting the shorter EVGA card would create some extra room inside the case and therefore additional room for airflow but then I read somewhere that if you do not get the blower style card for the X51 and push the air out the back as intended, you are just directing heat aimlessly and can fry the card. That statement got me concerned.
  3. TDP. I'm looking at various hardware comparison sites for specs and recommendations (namely Gamedebate.com) and have come across what looks like a discrepency. Why would the TDP for two cards be exactly the same, say 120W but then the minimum PSU is different? Also, why would a GPU thats rated at 120W TDP require a minimum of 450W PSU? Are they speculating on what else you may be running and making a guess? If thats the case, this is all hypothetical because the GPU will never require more than 120W correct? So I was just running the GPU, CPU and your typical peripherals (no dvd drive), I should be OK with <450W.
Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

MattyB

Hello,
I also have the R1 with the 3770. I didn't take my own advice and I picked up a cheap 1060 (3gb version) with single fan. When gaming, the fan roars at full speed the entire time. I have to remove the side panel to help it out. I strongly suggest the blower reference style cards like a Founder's Edition card.
I wouldn't worry about the minimum PSU requirements too much. They definitely over estimate what it should be. The 330W is usually enough to power most newer cards. Some older cards like the 780 and 980 were power hungry and some people had throttling issues. some cards are just too long to fit though so make sure you get a card that will fit. You can get some cards to squeeze in by removing the front intake fan.

alanX51

Hello,
I also have the R1 with the 3770. I didn't take my own advice and I picked up a cheap 1060 (3gb version) with single fan. When gaming, the fan roars at full speed the entire time. I have to remove the side panel to help it out. I strongly suggest the blower reference style cards like a Founder's Edition card.
I wouldn't worry about the minimum PSU requirements too much. They definitely over estimate what it should be. The 330W is usually enough to power most newer cards. Some older cards like the 780 and 980 were power hungry and some people had throttling issues. some cards are just too long to fit though so make sure you get a card that will fit. You can get some cards to squeeze in by removing the front intake fan.
Thank you! Based on what I read, I was starting to lean towards the Blower type card just to be safe. Now you've confirmed it. I'm now debating between a 1660 or 2060. I think both fit length wise. The 1660 is rated at 120W TDP and the 2060 at 160W TDP. Decisions decisions....

Last edited:

alanX51

Hello,
Actually a follow up question. Aside from the heat issue, did you find 3gb was enough or do you think 6gb is the way to go?

MattyB

These days a 6gb is the better option. I got the 3gb at a pretty decent price at the time and I mostly play older games that don't need the extra vRAM. 3gb is limiting for newer titles.

alanX51

**Update**

Happy to report I found a brand new never used in original packaging Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb Founder's Edition GPU. It's being shipped as we speak. The R2 power board is also on the way so in a few weeks time, I'll post another update.

alanX51

**Second Update**

Installed GTX 1060 FE with no problems. Straight swap and is running super quiet. First and only problem so far is that the two USB ports on the front don't start up. On Device Manager, it says:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

I have not received the R2 powerboard yet and am currently still using the R1 powerboard. This looks like a power issue, not a driver issue as I've double checked I have the latest driver installed. Will the R2 powerboard fix this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!