test

X51 or custom build can't decide

onlyme

Been trying to decide on an X51 or custom build for a couple of months.

My major decision is form factor, I have to get the box into a tight space where it will be visible the whole time, so it has to look good and not take up too much space, be quiet and unobtrusive. Custom build is such a massive, noisy box by comparison to X51, although I know custom PC's have small forms too - they all look awful.

I’m a bit concerned the X51 won’t be as easily to customise. Ie; if the motherboard blows or power supply / fan goes, how easy / cheap is a replacement. I can see replacing graphic cards, HD’s RAM is same as a custom PC and I’m a competent on that front. I’m also not that comfortable with the external power pack / brick, is this reliable ? I'm sensitive on this because our 'all-in-one' PC just had a new motherboard that was expensive and difficult to replace compared to a standard desktop PC.

The model I’m looking at is ( i5 / 6gb ram / GeForce 640 ) which is all my budget can afford right now. It will mainly be used as a family PC, MS Office, web browsing but also heavy Flight Sim X with multiple add on graphic packs and possibly ‘call of duty’, which is the main reason for buying this - gaming, heavy graphics use.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

MattyB

Welcome to the forum! I may be a little biased here but I would suggest you go for the X51. If you are really concerned about modding, maybe a custom build is the way to go for you though. I think you would feel pretty happy with an X51 sitting on your shelf!

From what I see, the X51 uses a mini ITX mobo so in theory you should be able to swap boards later on. It's definitely not designed towards mods though like it's bigger bother. The case is basically custom designed to fit all its components in perfectly. I still say go for it and worry about the future when it comes! :D The main thing is that you can still upgrade the GPU and HDD/SSD.

The model you're looking at will still play the gamews you want at pretty good specs. A few guys here have shoved GTX 670's in there without too much trouble.

Good luck with your decision!

onlyme

I just bought the X51 with the i7 and GTX660. Was on a pretty good deal so couldn't resist !!! From ordering to shipping was only one day ! so I should receive it any day now. Now I just need to decide on a monitor as my budget is pretty much blown I need something cheap....

sway

You'll like it for sure, it's pretty powerful. I'm fixing to start a build so I can go with a 3 monitor setup and thinking about getting a Asus mobo and psu to upgrade the x51. Or may just put it in the living room, can't decide.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

VagrantXeth

I sy go for the X51, but I might be biased as well. I got my X51 around when they first came out (i7 with a GTX 555 and 8 GB of RAM) but have since dropped in a GTX670 FTW and I will say it rocks! The form factor is small enough that I am sure it will fit your needs (I put it in my entertainment center to do some gaming on my big screen with Steam Big Box and it was awesome). We got my son the X51 model that you are talking about and it runs his games just fine. But I would spring for the model with the 330w PSU if you are thinking of upgrading the GPU anytime in the future.

@onlyme you should try NewEgg, they usually have great deals on monitors

yikes81

I also say go X51. Computers are getting cheaper now. And I find that by the time you want to upgrade, the parts are so old, you tend to just buy a new PC.

Sent via Tapatalk