X51 Poll - Who is getting one?

Will you be ordering the Alienware X51 Desktop?

• Yes - It fits my needs

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • No - I can't find a use for it.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Undecided at the moment.

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

katalin_2003

Feb 3, 2012
EU
Hello, Tommy, while i find it nice i can't justify having it around along with all other systems.
i saw the a video review about it on hothardware i believe and IMO it's a great little affordable desktop.

I wonder if the motherboard has a eeprom that only let you use Dell's proprietary bricks.

MacDiddy

Feb 3, 2012
NYC
I wonder if the motherboard has a eeprom that only let you use Dell's proprietary bricks.

Never though about that...If you could get a GTX580 in there with good cooling, I would get one in a second. But like you said, the power supply is the problem. I have an EVGA GTX580 3GB card in my custom built desktop and it runs very cool in general. The fan barely runs above 50%. I use to have the 1.5GB card and that fan would sound like a jet engine. I'm guessing the 3GB card is less strained when I game on my Dell 30".

I don't see myself needing this type of rig, I feel that I will need something a little bit bigger and with a little more horse power. If I were to look into it I may want to look at a few more reviews, but from what I have seen and the reading that I have been doing it seems that this rig is rock solid. To who ever has purchased or is purchasing one of these rigs you will not be disappointing.

I ordered one as I'm downsizing from a Mac Pro and it has everything I need :) I don't require too much in teh way of gaming so a 555 might work for me. Of course from the word around the net it looks like a non Ti 560 would work so if I get adventuresome I can always pick one of those up :)

My issue with upgrading to the 560 is that it's not enough of an upgrade to warrant spending $200. I mean is the 560 really that much faster than the 555? I am enthusiastic about the ability to upgrade, I just think people shouldn't jump the gun. Wait for the new Nvidia lineup instead which is close.