x51 R1 GPU (R1 PB)

EthanFoxy

Aug 15, 2015
What is the best GPU that I can upgrade to without any modifications? I have the R1 powerboard and the GTX 660, i5 3450 model.

If I can buy and install the R2 powerboard with ease, where do I buy it from?

Edit: I also do have the 330w power brick

Last edited:

EthanFoxy

Aug 15, 2015
http://www.alienowners.com/threads/x51-r1-power-board-replacement-r1-vfhmm-with-r2-d85rt.6325/

Look at the thread above it will guide you on changing your power board and install a gtx970 and you will be able to run games on max. If you read the whole thread then it should answer your question.

I understand that, but it doesn't link any trustworthy sites in the US to actually buy the powerboard. I can't order from Dell because my warranty is over. Also, I'm not paying $150 for one on eBay

It's all about how bad you want something. For me it was an obsession about getting a gtx970 working within that case. You have the option to use an external power supply but transport is more difficult. Place in a new case with a new power supply but cost will be higher and more labour intensive. Sell the r1 and buy a new one,most expensive. Those are pretty much your only choices right now. No one is selling r2 power boards locally at $50.00 and believe me if it was I would have found it. Don't forget the price of the gtx970. So ya no cheap way out of this one.