X51 R1 Power Board Replacement - R1 (VFHMM) with R2 (D85RT)

2coolminator

For anyone in USA,you can get the D85RT part easily from Dell's parts. When you plan to get, just get it from the "Chat Sales" instead of Phone Sales, I'm only paying the sales tax w/o shipping fee, I called earlier through phone sales and they charge shipping fee. Brings me to $49 :). Can't wait to receive it and upgrade my gpu to 1060/1070/1080!

Subtotal: $44.99
Total Shipping: $0.00
Total Tax: $3.94

vaclon

For anyone in USA,you can get the D85RT part easily from Dell's parts. When you plan to get, just get it from the "Chat Sales" instead of Phone Sales, I'm only paying the sales tax w/o shipping fee, I called earlier through phone sales and they charge shipping fee. Brings me to $49 :). Can't wait to receive it and upgrade my gpu to 1060/1070/1080!

Subtotal: $44.99
Total Shipping: $0.00
Total Tax: $3.94

Were you able to receive yours? I ordered mine via the same method and it was supposed to arrive two days ago and the website claims it hasn't even shipped yet.

I haven't been able to contact support because (since it was ordered via the chat???) it wont recognize my order # :/.

Last edited:

2coolminator

Were you able to receive yours? I ordered mine via the same method and it was supposed to arrive two days ago and the website claims it hasn't even shipped yet.

I haven't been able to contact support because (since it was ordered via the chat???) it wont recognize my order # :/.
I actually cancelled my order, since they did not ship it at all, even after 5 days from the day that I order.

Rex

Did you by any chance try to run the GTX 970 SC on the R1 powerboard? I plan on getting it in the near future but wanted to know if the R1 can support the card, at least temporarily, until I can get the power board.
I have had the EVGA 970 SC (TDP of 170W) on the R1 powerboard since 2014. I have had no problems running Witcher 3 with it.

TIM_2019

So I was experiencing GTX 970 crashing/ rebooting in games...

http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/6269-X51-970!?p=31092&viewfull=1#post31092

Well, decided to try installing a new R2 power board and see if it will resolve the crashing/ rebooting issue. Ordered a new R2 power board from Dell and they delivered in 2 days! (Great job!). The part number for my R1 system is VFHMM and the one for the R2 system is D85RT.

View attachment 1441View attachment 1442
Front/ top side view

View attachment 1440
Back view

View attachment 1443
Yup, that's the right part!

Next, I proceeded to tear out the old part and replace with the new. Here's some comparison pictures.

View attachment 1438View attachment 1439View attachment 1437

They basically look exactly the same. The only visible difference with both boards is the markings on the back. However, if you look closely, you will also see that the markings on the transistors are different. I am really not sure what has changed or improved upon. Anyway, ran the ePSA system test after putting back everything and it went ok.

View attachment 1444

I have not run every game at its highest setting yet and will probably do so when I get the chance. Cheers.
Really hope can help solve current problem.
Original GPU GTX555 die already won`t boot the system.

Since try EVGA GTX960 & NVIDIA GTX760 many times that PC running but screen black and always.

If change back Intel built in graphics card there is no more problem anymore.

Thanks anyway... going to buy R2 power board.