test

X51 R1 wireless network card upgrade?

danegeld

X51 R1 wireless network card upgrade?

I have a X51-R1 with the DW1502 wireless card..is there a link or video that shows how to replace this and what would be the best current choice? the current card despite being near the router (unable to run a cable due to location) consistantly tests 7~15 Mbps down yet 25Mbps up...makes me think there is something wrong... the rated speed on the other machines on the network consitantly tests 150~175+ Mbps. so its not my ISP

thanks in advance

MURRARI

Below is an image magnifying where your wireless card is located. It is held in by two philips screws and will have an antenna connected to it. It is very simple to remove and replace.

417C1315-AFB8-4293-BF90-E203C09A7B89.jpeg

danegeld

anythoughts on whats a upgrade? thanks for the photo now I know what to do when i figure out what to replace it with :)

grimesbot

Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but I wanted to let folks know what I just learned:

I have an Alienware X51 (R1) that came with a came with a Dell Wireless 1502 card which only supports Wifi 802.11 b/g/n. It does NOT support bluetooth. I wanted to upgrade the card to support bluetooth but I don't think it's supported.

The Alienware X51 R1 and R2 (I didn't research the R3) use a PCI Express Mini Card connector and only has space for a "Half Mini Card" or "HMC". These mini PCIe connectors can support PCI Express and/or USB connectivity; Wifi uses PCIe, bluetooth uses USB, combo Wifi/BT cards use both. But not all motherboards/connectors support both. I just confirmed with a Dell chat rep that the Alienware X51 R1 does not support USB over the mini PCIe connector, and this is a difference between the R1 and the X51 R2 which DOES support it since it ships with the Dell Wireless 1550 combo wifi bluetooth card.

I've also seen a couple forum posts online of people upgrading their X51 R1 with the Intel 7260 card and having the wifi work but not the bluetooth. They blame the antennas, but I think they are mistaken, I believe it's the lack of USB interface support by the motherboard on that connector.