test

X51 R1 with pny geforce GTX 660 TI ???

I see You

Hi all i'm new here and have been running a Pny gtx 660 TI for a while know and have not had any issues i just wanted to make sure with everything i'm running that i'm not stressing my power supply to much. here is my system specks.

Type Alienware X51 R1
Manufacturer Alienware
power supply 330 w power brick
Operating System Windows 8 Pro with media center
CPU Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 8GB
Video Card PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 660 TI
Sound Card Realtek HD audio
Hard Drive 1 terabyte stock one/1 terabyte usb drive
speakers Logitech Z623 THX speakers
Mouse Alienware TactX Mouse
Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
usb wired xbox 360 controller
usb phone charge cable.
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster S27B550/ Sony Bravia KDL-BX450

Viralistic

You should be fine. My X51 R2 has the 330w power supply as well. It came stock with a GTX 760ti (re-branded 670) which uses more power than your 660ti I am sure.

STDVirus

Your all good my x51 is only for gaming i have a GTX 680 powered to 120% and i also use a 360 wireless controller, wireless mouse and keyboard all hooked to my TV. My PSU is alos the 330w and i have the R1, the R2 is more efficient then R1 due to the better CPU.

bbond007

Hi all i'm new here and have been running a Pny gtx 660 TI for a while know and have not had any issues i just wanted to make sure with everything i'm running that i'm not stressing my power supply to much. here is my system specks.

My r1 has a EVGA 660 TI, i7 3770, 3TB drive, 16GB RAM and 240GB SSD. Been good so far even with the GPU overclocked I have not had any crashes or other issues :)

Your all good my x51 is only for gaming i have a GTX 680 powered to 120% and i also use a 360 wireless controller, wireless mouse and keyboard all hooked to my TV. My PSU is alos the 330w and i have the R1, the R2 is more efficient then R1 due to the better CPU.

WOW had no idea the r1 could handle a 680 :)

STDVirus

My r1 has a EVGA 660 TI, i7 3770, 3TB drive, 16GB RAM and 240GB SSD. Been good so far even with the GPU overclocked I have not had any crashes or other issues :)

WOW had no idea the r1 could handle a 680 :)
Yeah there is a couple of us running the GTX 680 in our x51 not sure if his model is the R1 or not though but mine is.

sunster168

Are you using a mechanical hard drive or only an ssd?

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Are you using a mechanical hard drive or only an ssd?

I see You

Hey if i wanted to upgrade to a SSD what would i have to do could i clone the operating system to it or would i need to re install everything?

bbond007

Hey if i wanted to upgrade to a SSD what would i have to do could i clone the operating system to it or would i need to re install everything?

your SSD may come with software to transfer/re-size your system partition, however I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager. I believe they have a trial version that could get the job done.

Re-installing is a pain...

MattyB

I vote for reinstall.
Yes it is a pain and can take a full day once you install all the drivers and Windows updates and extra software. Then all your games. But, it will also get rid of any issues that you could have and many hidden nasties. I do it on my machines every so often.

bbond007

I vote for reinstall.
Yes it is a pain and can take a full day once you install all the drivers and Windows updates and extra software. Then all your games. But, it will also get rid of any issues that you could have and many hidden nasties. I do it on my machines every so often.

This last time, I just had done a fresh install of OS and apps. Then upgrade to Media Center, then Update to Windows 8.1... and I was just jumping from a 120GB SSD to 240GB, so I was not about to do that all again.

MattyB

That's fair. It isn't a fun experience. There's better things I could do with my time. Depends on the circumstances I guess.

Himesed

i installed in on my own shortly after i got the pc i have yes the 330w PSU just wanted to make sure in the long run i was not going to stress this psu out to much.