x51 R2 a month later

bignazpwns

So I picked up a x51 R2 and first things I did was drop in a 840 evo, gtx 680, lock the i7 4770 at 3.9 GHz. Use Intel xtu to under volt the CPU to 1.104v and use as5 all around and running the cpu fan at a constant 5v.

So far not one issue. No bsod's reboots nothing. I play wow 6 hours a day so its seen some heavy use. Running a Zotac Ref. GTX 680 with the bios unlcoked and overclocked. Scoring a little over 10k in 3dmark 11. System runs great. Undervolted the cpu only hits 52c playing games. 64c under prime. gpu loads at 72c

I'll be adding more. Few mods i got int he works such as carbonfiber film on the case. Custom power cables etc

Just like to say zero issues after a month of pretty good use. I'll keep everyone posted. but stock psu and the GTX 680 are getting along just fine.

also note the screen shot is showing 3.7ghz its 3.9 that sceen was taken after i installed xtu to undervolt a few days ago and it messed up my settings but as of right now back to the multi locked on 39. Also enjoy the 840 Evo in all its glory and tons of iop's lol

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

MattyB

Welcome! Nice to hear some good stories of upgrade success. Awesome little beast you have now!

bignazpwns

Right now in my free time im useing my works machine shop to make a 120mm internal radiator for the X51 that will replace the optical drive.

pretty much it will consist of some old single slot gpt heatsinks off some old gtx 280's with the bases lapped flat then mounted to a thin copper. water block type deal. channels for the water to flow with about 3 micro fins running the along the channels. I'll be using a old H55 block and pump but i might toss in a second H55 block and pump as a booster pump. I'll be using 2 blower fans off the 280's to cool the rad down and blow air out the back of the case. Sould work pretty well and be pretty easy to make. Working on the cad right now for it. I will be skipping tygon tubing and using some copper piping machined with some nice sharp angles on the bodys of the pipes to act as some heatsinks.

The idea is to end up with a totaly internal system. Thats untra thin and gives preformance close to or on part with some of the better 120mm rads. Also played around with the idea of adding a tec into the mix but my gpu is taxing the psu pretty hard. At about 1300mhz on it and about 7.2ghz on the memory i trip the psu. But at 1100 and 7ghz i run nice and smooth with no isseues at all.

Now i know im going to get the people omg gtx 680 your psu will die!!. No, Its not going to. Every week i take it into my work and i check it out. "I work as a tech at a place that manufacturers 100ghz fiberoptic receivers." PSU is totaly fine after a month of heavy use. Not saying everyone should go slap in a gtx 680 or gtx 770. After another month of heavy use if the psu still checks out then i'll say you can run it at stock clocks. Also im putting all the data in after i run test on the psu "Noise, ripple and all that" as well as measure each component to check and see if they are changing into an excel file.

However i will say that as of right now its a beast for its size.

And no i will not make any extra radiators. After i test it and see how well it works i'll post the files for it online so if anyone wants to they can make it or have it made.

MattyB

Sounds like you've got a good plan organized. Don't forget pics for us.

There has been a lot of talk about 670's/680's and higher throttling down due to the PSU. You think you will be able to get full clocks after your mods?

sway

Sounds like you've got a good plan organized. Don't forget pics for us.

There has been a lot of talk about 670's/680's and higher throttling down due to the PSU. You think you will be able to get full clocks after your mods?

You gotta have a more powerful psu to get the full benefit of a gpu like that. It's been tested by a few and I saw it first hand when I took my 670ftw and put it in my custom rig. My bench scores with same cpu and all stock clocks were higher just bc of more power from a better psu. That Lil brick might run it no prob, but that gpu won't run as good as it could.

You can test it on 3d Mark 11 and compare to other people's results. It'll come usually a 1k+ points lower than what it should, give or take.

tappin from the Nexus 4

bignazpwns

20131025_203042.jpgView attachment 1116
You gotta have a more powerful psu to get the full benefit of a gpu like that. It's been tested by a few and I saw it first hand when I took my 670ftw and put it in my custom rig. My bench scores with same cpu and all stock clocks were higher just bc of more power from a better psu. That Lil brick might run it no prob, but that gpu won't run as good as it could.

You can test it on 3d Mark 11 and compare to other people's results. It'll come usually a 1k+ points lower than what it should, give or take.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Going to have to go against you on this one. Because i know for a fact that my GTX 680 is running full power and running fine. And even handles a slight oc just fine. I know this because i did some runs with my 1kw psu running the system and the bench's were spot on +/- the typical few points you get from bench to bench.

i been running my GTX 680 at 1111mhz on the core and memory at anyware from 6.6ghz to 7ghz and running logs on every game i play and i have yet to see it throttle from temps or power. But like i said. i7 locked at 3.9ghz and a slightly overclocked gtx 680 is hitting the limits. After im finished i'll just run it at stock clocks.

Keep in mind im running full oem bloat + a ton of other stuff. Naga software, stuff for my G19. Straight up stock gpu clock daily driver system run nothing special.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7455199

Stock clocks. CPU locked to turbo. GPU TDP set to 110%. Max TDP recorded was 109.8%

Stock GTX 680 core clock 1006mhz with a 1058 boost. 3dmark is reporting it at the stock bios boosted clock of my modded bios. but this run was underclocked to reference clocks.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7455277

Needless to say with the backround process's running and all that. Preformace is right where it sould be.

Last edited:

sway

View attachment 1117View attachment 1116

Going to have to go against you on this one. Because i know for a fact that my GTX 680 is running full power and running fine. And even handles a slight oc just fine. I know this because i did some runs with my 1kw psu running the system and the bench's were spot on +/- the typical few points you get from bench to bench.

i been running my GTX 680 at 1111mhz on the core and memory at anyware from 6.6ghz to 7ghz and running logs on every game i play and i have yet to see it throttle from temps or power. But like i said. i7 locked at 3.9ghz and a slightly overclocked gtx 680 is hitting the limits. After im finished i'll just run it at stock clocks.

Keep in mind im running full oem bloat + a ton of other stuff. Naga software, stuff for my G19. Straight up stock gpu clock daily driver system run nothing special.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7455199

Stock clocks. CPU locked to turbo. GPU TDP set to 110%. Max TDP recorded was 109.8%

Stock GTX 680 core clock 1006mhz with a 1058 boost. 3dmark is reporting it at the stock bios boosted clock of my modded bios. but this run was underclocked to reference clocks.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7455277

Needless to say with the backround process's running and all that. Preformace is right where it sould be.

So your running your gpu on the non stock psu? Might wanna re read my post. I said you need a better psu to get the full benefit of the gpu, which your not using the x51 psu, correct?

tappin from the Nexus 4

bignazpwns

So your running your gpu on the non stock psu? Might wanna re read my post. I said you need a better psu to get the full benefit of the gpu, which your not using the x51 psu, correct?

tappin from the Nexus 4

Read my post.

I TESTED IT ON MY 1KW PSU AND GOT THE SAME NUMBERS AS MY STOCK PSU. My whole first post is about running on the stock psu. Hi welcome to the party. The pisture is there to shave i have tested it on a psu so people know im not just saying random stuff like most people on here with the OMG you cant run that because its better then mine so it takes to much power.

Ok back on topic. max i was able to get was the full 132% tdp "My 680 is running a modded bios keep in mind" and clocks a little over 1,300 on the gpu and 7ghz on the mem. Its stable. temps are fine "Gpu as well as case temp sensors." 3 hours of 3dMark looping. Can it run it? Yes. Sould you run it" No. Its hitting the PSU pretty hard and at those clocks i would not be surprised to see caps leaking after prolonged use. 1111 on the core seems to be the useable max for the core in terms of power the stock psu can put out and abuse the components can take. I have not had any issues and its been running like a champ with heavy wow use "A ton of 25m raiding at 2k res.".

My recamendation for anyone wanting to run a GTX 680 off the stock psu are as fallowed.

-Ditch the stock HDD. Swap it for a SSD

-Mod your PCIe power plug. It will not fit in a GTX 680 unless you do so. Or just take a old psu and make a new harness that plugs into the stock port "Dell flip flopped the 4 pin plug."

-Rear exhaust coolers only.

-Limit the amount of USB devices in use. Im using a Logitech G19 keyboard and Razer Naga epic as my only USB devices.

-If you can. Get a card with a high ASIC quality rating. Mine is 95%. Do not expect to hit the clocks i have if yours is say 70%. Your card will require a little mower power then mine. "Tip, Usually versions like the EVGA classafied and Zotac AMPED will have binned gpu's that have the higher ASIC quality rating. However Pretty much every high end Asus card i had or seen used typical binnings. So i would avoid them for this application.

-Start off at the stock ref. clocks. If you need more power only go as high as 110% TDP with 1111mhz on the core. "Pushing someone tends to move them faster then just giving them a round house kick below the belt. Just because your gpu can clock to over 1300mhz does not mean you have to clock it that high. Also factor in boost into your clocks so you dont overshoot your overclock you want for those who are not forcing p-states.

-Set your psu on something hard. Not under a blanket or on the carpet. It gets hot but no hotter then it does when powering the stock set up. "Infared temp tested". Theory behind this is your hitting the psu pretty hard so trying to help cool it a little is just that much better.

-If you have stability issues. Plug it directly into your outlet and not a power strip. Sometimes if you have a cheap power strip they can give you stability issues when your taxing a psu this much.

-Also if you overclock to much and you get a shut down dont worry. You just tripped the psu's bult in guard. just down clock a little then try again. But you will need to unplug the psu from the wall in order to reset it.

As for the cpu cooling project. i ordered my Alu. today "Alu. is better then copper at disappointing heat." Going to go all Alu. on this build that way i wont have to worry about the whole issues that come with mixing alu and copper and im taking as much heat away from the cpu as i can. On sunday i will be trying to see about making a Alu. res and machining some small heatsinks in the res to help out even more. But i have changed my radiator des. up a bit. Sould work great to cool a i7 4770k overclocked if someone was to slap another mitx mobo in and use a k series cpu. But im shooting for a system that will cool the 4770 st 3.9 and a gpu like a gtx 660, 76. Nothng major like a 670,680,770. Load temps on the cpu with the gpu in the loop of 65c along with the gpu at say 65c would be great. Single loop for say a i7 im hoping for load temps in the 45's. Nothing earth shattering just a full super compact loop that does not preform worse then the stock heatsink like some that i seen.

And also on a side note. Im unable to disable HT in the bios. I disable it and it works. I try to cold boot it the system fails to post and restore the defaults. I prefer no HT as in gaming it makes no diff and just sucks up more power and makes more heat but im unable to disable this. I really dont care but if someone gets the idea to do this to save some power i would not even waste my time because the stock bios sucks and seems to be buggy. But i'll unlock the current X51 R2's bios and upload it when i finish my WC set up in it and get some free time. So if anyone would want to beta test it when i start just post up and i'll pm you the link when i get it all unlocked.

sway

Read my post.

I TESTED IT ON MY 1KW PSU AND GOT THE SAME NUMBERS AS MY STOCK PSU. My whole first post is about running on the stock psu. Hi welcome to the party. The pisture is there to shave i have tested it on a psu so people know im not just saying random stuff like most people on here with the OMG you cant run that because its better then mine so it takes to much power.

Ok back on topic. max i was able to get was the full 132% tdp "My 680 is running a modded bios keep in mind" and clocks a little over 1,300 on the gpu and 7ghz on the mem. Its stable. temps are fine "Gpu as well as case temp sensors." 3 hours of 3dMark looping. Can it run it? Yes. Sould you run it" No. Its hitting the PSU pretty hard and at those clocks i would not be surprised to see caps leaking after prolonged use. 1111 on the core seems to be the useable max for the core in terms of power the stock psu can put out and abuse the components can take. I have not had any issues and its been running like a champ with heavy wow use "A ton of 25m raiding at 2k res.".

My recamendation for anyone wanting to run a GTX 680 off the stock psu are as fallowed.

-Ditch the stock HDD. Swap it for a SSD

-Mod your PCIe power plug. It will not fit in a GTX 680 unless you do so. Or just take a old psu and make a new harness that plugs into the stock port "Dell flip flopped the 4 pin plug."

-Rear exhaust coolers only.

-Limit the amount of USB devices in use. Im using a Logitech G19 keyboard and Razer Naga epic as my only USB devices.

-If you can. Get a card with a high ASIC quality rating. Mine is 95%. Do not expect to hit the clocks i have if yours is say 70%. Your card will require a little mower power then mine. "Tip, Usually versions like the EVGA classafied and Zotac AMPED will have binned gpu's that have the higher ASIC quality rating. However Pretty much every high end Asus card i had or seen used typical binnings. So i would avoid them for this application.

-Start off at the stock ref. clocks. If you need more power only go as high as 110% TDP with 1111mhz on the core. "Pushing someone tends to move them faster then just giving them a round house kick below the belt. Just because your gpu can clock to over 1300mhz does not mean you have to clock it that high. Also factor in boost into your clocks so you dont overshoot your overclock you want for those who are not forcing p-states.

-Set your psu on something hard. Not under a blanket or on the carpet. It gets hot but no hotter then it does when powering the stock set up. "Infared temp tested". Theory behind this is your hitting the psu pretty hard so trying to help cool it a little is just that much better.

-If you have stability issues. Plug it directly into your outlet and not a power strip. Sometimes if you have a cheap power strip they can give you stability issues when your taxing a psu this much.

-Also if you overclock to much and you get a shut down dont worry. You just tripped the psu's bult in guard. just down clock a little then try again. But you will need to unplug the psu from the wall in order to reset it.

As for the cpu cooling project. i ordered my Alu. today "Alu. is better then copper at disappointing heat." Going to go all Alu. on this build that way i wont have to worry about the whole issues that come with mixing alu and copper and im taking as much heat away from the cpu as i can. On sunday i will be trying to see about making a Alu. res and machining some small heatsinks in the res to help out even more. But i have changed my radiator des. up a bit. Sould work great to cool a i7 4770k overclocked if someone was to slap another mitx mobo in and use a k series cpu. But im shooting for a system that will cool the 4770 st 3.9 and a gpu like a gtx 660, 76. Nothng major like a 670,680,770. Load temps on the cpu with the gpu in the loop of 65c along with the gpu at say 65c would be great. Single loop for say a i7 im hoping for load temps in the 45's. Nothing earth shattering just a full super compact loop that does not preform worse then the stock heatsink like some that i seen.

And also on a side note. Im unable to disable HT in the bios. I disable it and it works. I try to cold boot it the system fails to post and restore the defaults. I prefer no HT as in gaming it makes no diff and just sucks up more power and makes more heat but im unable to disable this. I really dont care but if someone gets the idea to do this to save some power i would not even waste my time because the stock bios sucks and seems to be buggy. But i'll unlock the current X51 R2's bios and upload it when i finish my WC set up in it and get some free time. So if anyone would want to beta test it when i start just post up and i'll pm you the link when i get it all unlocked.

Calm down there, wasn't following your post, it was all over the place. If you again look at my last post, it had question marks bc I wasn't sure. Nobody's saying omg you can't run anything either.

tappin from the Nexus 4

simp0man

Ok I dont know what you are talking about (new to the computer hardware scene) but I am interested in upgrading my GTX 670 to a 680. Where is the step by step? Any way I can switch my PSU to a higher grade than the stock 330w????

nando2323

I'm interested also how the 330W PSU is running the 680. I think if you don't use the Optical Drive and swap out the 3.5" HD for a SSD that saves you some power there. Also OP said that he was underclocking his CPU if I am correct that should save some power also. I don't think this is possible on the X51 R1's though since they are not Haswell based and draw more power, so I think 670/760 is the most you're going to get out of these if I am not mistaken without going with an external PSU. On the X51 R2's you can prob get a 680/770(maybe) to work in there since they have Haswell proc's and they draw less power.

bignazpwns

Sorry been working 16's with a 1 1/2 hour drive to and from work so i been pretty busy. System is still going stong. i7 locked at 3.9ghz with throttle stop. ht on and the gtx 680 overclocked to 1.1ghz on the core and 7ghz on the mem. No issues at all so far. A GTX 770 sould work since its just a GTX 680 with faster ram. Im running a little above GTX 770 specs.

Im running a SSD "2.5 inch" a MSATA SSD and the optical drive. Fan is wired up for a constant 5v

nando2323

Yeah I think it's definitely possible with the R2's as long as the conditions are correct like yours there should be no problems. The R1's are a whole different story since they are SandyBridge and that makes a big difference in power. You are definitely pushing the limits of that 330W PSU though which is pretty cool. I wonder what if anything that will do to it's lifespan. I think I am pushing my PSU also running a GTX670 4GB in my R1. I want to get one of those power meter things you plug into the wall to see how much it's drawing.

STDVirus

Sorry been working 16's with a 1 1/2 hour drive to and from work so i been pretty busy. System is still going stong. i7 locked at 3.9ghz with throttle stop. ht on and the gtx 680 overclocked to 1.1ghz on the core and 7ghz on the mem. No issues at all so far. A GTX 770 sould work since its just a GTX 680 with faster ram. Im running a little above GTX 770 specs.

Im running a SSD "2.5 inch" a MSATA SSD and the optical drive. Fan is wired up for a constant 5v

Hey sounds like you have your setup dialed in hope to have mine running good soon. What games have you tested this setup with?