X51 R2 and GTX970 temps...

JD_X51

Dec 9, 2014
Texas
I recently installed this MSI GTX 970 OC and was wondering about my temps...

The card itself was really long and required me to remove the front fan (possible concern) which I thought would be ok due to the intake vent of the card lining up pretty well with the front vent (where the fan used to be).

After installing it I ran some benchmarks and played so games and per MSI Afterburner, my highest/Max temp was 85 degrees while my idle temp was in the low 40s.

I tried to research some of the GTX 970 temps and most state sub 80 temps, but I figured most of them are running them in better air flow cases. I was wondering if I should be concerned about my temps. If so, I may opt to exchange for another card (possible one short enough for me to put the fan back in).

Any thoughts?

KillerBee33

Sep 20, 2014
New York

The card itself was really long and required me to remove the front fan (possible concern) which I thought would be ok due to the intake vent of the card lining up pretty well with the front vent (where the fan used to be).

After installing it I ran some benchmarks and played so games and per MSI Afterburner, my highest/Max temp was 85 degrees while my idle temp was in the low 40s.

I tried to research some of the GTX 970 temps and most state sub 80 temps, but I figured most of them are running them in better air flow cases. I was wondering if I should be concerned about my temps. If so, I may opt to exchange for another card (possible one short enough for me to put the fan back in).

Any thoughts?

85 is not bad at all i run factory 760TI OEM heavy games run at 85
my choice would be to remove DVD drive completely, if Paranoia dosent stop ;']. I ran L702X laptop with gtx 555m overclocked to the limit for 3 years,heavy load at 97 degrees and to the day that laptop performs as good as new Also u can use Afterburner to downclock STOCK http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

Any thoughts?

Use MSI Afterburner to create a fan profile to kick the fan on sooner and at higher rpm's. My 980 never goes above 80 with a custom fan profile set in Afterburner.

This is the reality of using a high end gpu in a small case. The front fan doesn't make much of a difference in my opinion. I have ran with and without it, replaced it with a slim fan, and have noticed very little difference in temps.

JD_X51

Dec 9, 2014
Texas
My GTX 970 idles at 40-41 and 78-79 under load.

Which 970 card are you using?

Use MSI Afterburner to create a fan profile to kick the fan on sooner and at higher rpm's. My 980 never goes above 80 with a custom fan profile set in Afterburner.

This is the reality of using a high end gpu in a small case. The front fan doesn't make much of a difference in my opinion. I have ran with and without it, replaced it with a slim fan, and have noticed very little difference in temps.

That's what I have done for now, but may tweak it a bit more over time. This will probably end up being the best solution especially since the fan noise at 100% is still much quieter than my 760Ti.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!