X51 R2 CPU UPGRADE HELP

KhydroDjent

Aug 26, 2015
Hey guys, I'm pretty crap at a lot of computer stuff..That why I bought an alienware ha.

But the CPU on my system is i5, I was wondering if one of these in the links below would be compatible? If not, can I pleaaaaase have some more insight as too what might be?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577047927&pf_rd_i=desktop

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-I7-26...id=1440629129&sr=1-3&keywords=LGA+1155+CPU+i7

Also are the CPU's in the link any good? Finding answers on the internet about this stuff is real tough - Well for me it is anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Khy

Last edited:

KhydroDjent

Aug 26, 2015
Really? cause some guy on youtube said An Ivy bridge would work? Okay well I guess both links are a dud? Mine deffo an R2 but my specs don't say much about the CPU - Not as detailed as the descriptions when you buy a CPU. If that makes any sense.

Thanks for the reply man!

mf9

Oct 19, 2013
London
Can I ask why you want to upgrade your i5, as if it's mainly for games you should be looking at upgrading your GPU not CPU. There's various links that say for games there's barely any difference between an i5 and i7.

KhydroDjent

Aug 26, 2015
Because I do a lot of music production so I have a lot of things going at the same time. My RAM is maxed out but I just need helping find an i7 that would work with my x51. I have a 330Watt PSU with a GTX 750Ti GPU so Would could the computer handle the upgrade?

Yes that should fit but again I don't see the point. As stated before there is not a big difference between the I5 and I7. Don't believe you will see any noticeable difference. The minimal change does not justify the cost. if you ram is really maxed out then maybe a new more powerful unit that can run more ram with a FASTER processor is in order. But Im starting to think there is another problem here.

KhydroDjent

Aug 26, 2015
I see...Well if I need to get another machine which is a lot of hassle, that means porting over a lot of software I need. and spending a lot more as I need a better machine. But how do mean another problem? I do sometimes get a blue screen but I have no idea what causes it...
If I ported my operation system onto something like this, an SSD, would the machine run windows faster? Is it even possible to put the OS onto something like that, without needing a software? I have windows 8.1 so would windows be able to do that?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5...id=1441290364&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+850+evo

Again, thanks a lot for your replies man.

SSD will reduce load time but not run faster. A blue screen is usually from defective Ram memory or to big of a power draw but could be any number of things. Do a memory ram test FIRST !! ( you will have to search this). Are you sure you have a 330watt power supply. I would start with a windows 10 update as it is free (make sure the BIOS is updated). Go to the device manager and make sure you have the latest divers and go from there. Reformat hard drive with a clean install. Start with a ram memory test first.

KhydroDjent

Aug 26, 2015
Alright I'll do a memory ram test. But I tried windows 10 and then went back to 8.1 because none of my gear worked with windows 10. And yeah, I'm very sure it's 330watt, I bought recently with my graphics card. it's a gtx 750ti. and my Ram sticks are brand new from Mr. memory made for alienware x51's. I'll probably have to reformat it all then...But what if I put all my programmes onto the Samsung evo SSD, wouldn't that make them run faster? As it's going straight to the IC's..?

Yes the problem probably started when you installed the ram. Its a common problem. Even new it could be defective or not properly seated.

SSD load data quicker but does not process the data faster, speeds up file/data transfers

Last edited: