X51-R2 GTX 970 Shutdowns

ivory_soul

I'm currently getting random shutdowns with a GTX 970 in an X51-R2. I have the 330W PSU and have since replaced it thinking that was the issue. It was fine for a while and the shutdowns happened again. I have the EVGA blower style card that isn't overclocked. I even removed the optical drive to reduce power draw. This has been going on for about 8 months now and days, maybe weeks, will go by with no shutdowns, and then all of a sudden it's all the time. I have the latest drivers (as of today).

Anyone know what could be the issue? There are plenty of X51-R2 owners who use the 970 with no issues.

elex

Is your computer shutting down or are your monitor(s) going blank? I started having my monitors (2) suddenly going into sleepmode. The computer as far as i can tell is still on, just lost signal to the monitors. Usually a reboot fixed the problem but after about 2 months of random blank screens, my monitors now stay in sleepmode on boot; no video input signal. I tried the integrated intel video card via hdmi & everything worked normally. I swapped out my GTX760 with an old 8800GTS & fixed the problem. Thinking the 760 went bad, I bought a new GTX1060. Same problem! no video signal on boot, monitor went to sleep mode but the computer is on. Swapped back the 8800, worked!

Currently what I've done is to power the video card with an external atx psu (a spare I've had lying around from an older decommissioned pc). Tried both the 760 & 1060 & it sort of works, sometimes no video signal on boot but if the monitor does get signal & turn on, then its stays on. Surfing, gaming etc. it stays on.

ivory_soul

overheating?

It's a possibility. I started running MSI Afterburner and turned the max temp to 70C and the game stopped shutting down. I'm not sure if that's a temporary fix or a permanent solution. Normally my PC gets above 80C within minutes of a level starting. Shut downs were always when a level immediately loaded up (and you took control of a character) or a few seconds in. I'm not sure if 80C is too hot, as other components could be overheating and causing the shut down as the X51 is a tiny case. I even took the optical drive out (I have never used it).

It also only did this for certain games. Such as Dying Light: The Following (right after the level loaded, but the first time I ran it it was fine. It was after the second boot up that the shut downs started), Skyrim (modded with ENB and as soon as I would turn the camera), Battlefield 1 (only when flying planes), DOOM (randomly when too much happened on screen), Batman: Arkham Knight, and probably a few others I can't remember.