test

X51 R2 GTX 970 upgrade

amarkey10

Yo, had my rig for almost 2 years now and now think it's time for an upgrade without having to buy a completely new PC. Heard the GTX 970 should work with the r2 unit with the 330w PSU if I'm correct, the thing is I'm not completely sure what models are recommend but I did some research and I believe this PSY one should be compatible with it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-GeForce...0120043OQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

If not or you have some other model to recommend, please suggest below.

Cheers

dewi316

This is the card I'm getting. price is right and also fits inside my case with no need to alter anything. I have an R1 just waiting for my powerboard to arrive from usa, upgrading to the r2 powerboard.

Top Customer Reviews
5.0 out of 5 starsA nice upgrade.
By Equation on 19 Mar. 2015
Style Name: GeForce GTX 960 2 GB GDDR5 Verified Purchase
I bought this as an upgrade for my Alienware X51 (R1) in replacement of the 660 it came with, I found that the 660 was a little troublesome as it was a OEM version and didn't play that well with the Nvidia drivers.
This card looked perfect for my mini pc, the length of the card is a perfect fit, they style of the card is reference blower so it blows the hot heat out the back of the case and the TDP is even lower than the 660 it replaced so it's not using as much energy.

In terms of performance it gives a nice little boost over the 660. I did a few benchmark tests using games that include a benchmark tester , I did a test prior to replacing the card and also after. Running at 1080p with everything pretty much on maximum (apart from a few things I'd toned down as I prefer more frames per sec over slight graphical improvements.

Tomb Raider saw the average frames per second increase by 22 frames which is quite impressive

Hitman Absolution saw the average frames per second increase by 19 frames.

Overall a nice little upgrade from the 660 5/5

Last edited:

amarkey10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-GDDR5-G...d=1458925403&sr=8-11&keywords=geforce+960+4gb

This is the card I'm getting. price is right and also fits inside my case with no need to alter anything. I have an R1 just waiting for my powerboard to arrive from usa, upgrading to the r2 powerboard.

Top Customer Reviews
5.0 out of 5 starsA nice upgrade.
By Equation on 19 Mar. 2015
Style Name: GeForce GTX 960 2 GB GDDR5 Verified Purchase
I bought this as an upgrade for my Alienware X51 (R1) in replacement of the 660 it came with, I found that the 660 was a little troublesome as it was a OEM version and didn't play that well with the Nvidia drivers.
This card looked perfect for my mini pc, the length of the card is a perfect fit, they style of the card is reference blower so it blows the hot heat out the back of the case and the TDP is even lower than the 660 it replaced so it's not using as much energy.

In terms of performance it gives a nice little boost over the 660. I did a few benchmark tests using games that include a benchmark tester , I did a test prior to replacing the card and also after. Running at 1080p with everything pretty much on maximum (apart from a few things I'd toned down as I prefer more frames per sec over slight graphical improvements.

Tomb Raider saw the average frames per second increase by 22 frames which is quite impressive

Hitman Absolution saw the average frames per second increase by 19 frames.

Overall a nice little upgrade from the 660 5/5
Hm, I may just get this card instead due it being cheaper and I don't think there is a big difference between that and the 970 but I may be wrong. The card you linked is OC though, I thought the x51 didn't support it but maybe it does then, can you just confirm that it does? Cheers for the reply btw

socrates

The GTX 970 should be fine, its offered as an upgrade option from AW. The difference between a 970 and 960 is significant. You can get a reference 970, and manually overclock it to whatever point you feel confident with. Some people here have gotten some solid overclocks with their 970's as well, but of course you could always keep yours at stock clocks if you wanted.

clintr

I put an EVGA GTX 970 SC in mine about a week ago, and I have an R1 with an R2 powerboard. All good.

amarkey10

Last edited:

clintr

I stuck with the 9.5" spec'd card. It looks like both of those are longer. I've read success stories with the bigger cards, I just didn't want to risk it. I think anything over 10.5" will need some mods to the case.

As far as power consumption goes, both look < 150W which is under the limit. (according to their manufacturer's websites)

amarkey10

I stuck with the 9.5" spec'd card. It looks like both of those are longer. I've read success stories with the bigger cards, I just didn't want to risk it. I think anything over 10.5" will need some mods to the case.

As far as power consumption goes, both look < 150W which is under the limit. (according to their manufacturer's websites)
Alright, thanks :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForc...e=UTF8&qid=1459473697&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+970 is the one you have right?

Last edited:

clintr

I don't see the one I got on the UK site. I got the regular single blower SC. No ACX.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...I45AUU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_sdptod_0nD.wb1JGMJZ2_tt

However, it looks like the ACX will fit and pulls 170W, so you should be good with that. I believe I almost went with that one as well, but opted for the single blower. Mine only draws 145W, so I was just more comfortable with that buffer.

E: Additionally, you might want to be 100% certain what the max recommended power draw is for the R2 board. I just did a quick google but not time to find. Shouldn't be too difficult to dig up.

Last edited:

amarkey10

I don't see the one I got on the UK site. I got the regular single blower SC. No ACX.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...I45AUU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_sdptod_0nD.wb1JGMJZ2_tt

However, it looks like the ACX will fit and pulls 170W, so you should be good with that. I believe I almost went with that one as well, but opted for the single blower. Mine only draws 145W, so I was just more comfortable with that buffer.

E: Additionally, you might want to be 100% certain what the max recommended power draw is for the R2 board. I just did a quick google but not time to find. Shouldn't be too difficult to dig up.
Cheers again, I'l look about online to see if I can find a card that doesn't take up too much power :p

Last edited: