X51 R2 Help

vdub

Good afternoon,

I currently own a X51 R2 that I haven't really touched in years (5+) since going to school. I've come back with a new appreciation for gaming but I didn't know much myself prior.

What would I need to update in order to make this machine run current gen games smoothly? (60fps, 1080p?)

My model is the D05S (?) Not quite sure.

Or would I be better to try to sell this off and buy something else? What could I hope to salvage this for?

Any help would be appreciated!

Andrew_J994

Any specs?

RAM Capacity & Speed? CPU Model? GPU Model? What kind of games do you plan to run?

The x51 is notorious for bad thermals under load and making a ton of noise, if you're planning to run AAA games or anything demanding I would just suggest building a desktop on the cheap, a decent rig would run you $400-$750

vdub

Sorry, specs are as follows:

i7 4770 3.4hz
8gb RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4600

I mostly run Dota 2, but I would like to run Divinity 2.

I'm a complete novice as to what I should do right now.

Andrew_J994

Not too bad, Id say up the ram to 16gb, and then try to find a good deal on an alienware graphics amplifier if your x51 supports it, then just find a decent gpu to pair with it, maybe an rx 580 8gb or 1660s, my rx 480 8gb still spits out high 90s fps on gta 5 max settings as well as ~90 fps on overwatch and fortnite.

Andrew_J994

it may support sff gpus internally but your thermals would tank even more and at that point it wouldnt be worth upgrading because of the preformance loss with thermal throttling, plus the difficulty of finding a suitible card, it may be best just to sell the x51 and use the money for a budget rig or move the internals to a better case which i wouldnt know about because ive never done it but i know it can be done

vdub

Should I try to upgrade to the GTX 1060 Founders Edition? I read that it fits perfectly and I also have the 330W PSU

Or let's say I have the opportunity to sell the whole thing at $450 CAD, is that worth?

Andrew_J994

yeah thats a decent card for that system, i forgot the pcie slots are mounted vertically so they support bigger cards. i dont know much about CAD since im in the US here so i wont be able to give you good advice on that but here $450 would be ~120 over what Id pay for an x51 r2 in the US.