X51 R2: I'm trying to upgrade my video card, can anyone suggest what I should get?

chrisbbq

Oct 19, 2020
San Francisco
I have looking into few GTX 1060, GTX 1660. but I look online say about I need to change my AC adapter as well. so if anyone already did a upgrade could you let me know if i need to change my AC adapter. Also I'm thinking adding a SSD and also want to add some more RAM. if anyone could suggest some ideal that would be great.

Thanks. IMG_20201019_193709.jpg

chrisbbq

Oct 19, 2020
San Francisco
I have looking into few GTX 1060, GTX 1660. but I look online say about I need to change my AC adapter as well. so if anyone already did a upgrade could you let me know if i need to change my AC adapter. Also I'm thinking adding a SSD and also want to add some more RAM. if anyone could suggest some ideal that would be great.

Thanks. View attachment 3568
i forgot my is X51 R2

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
You already have the 330W adapter so you're all good there. The X51 still used DDR3 memory but I'm not not if it is capable of using 16gb sticks so you may be capped at 2x8gb.
A 1660ti uses around 120W which is what the 1060 uses so you should be fine with either of these cards. The important thing to remember is that the inside of the X51 is tight and does not have much air flow. You really need a blower style card like the Founders Edition models that push the hot air out the back of the case rather than most third party fan style cards that keep the air inside.

Reactions: chrisbbq

chrisbbq

Oct 19, 2020
San Francisco
You already have the 330W adapter so you're all good there. The X51 still used DDR3 memory but I'm not not if it is capable of using 16gb sticks so you may be capped at 2x8gb.
A 1660ti uses around 120W which is what the 1060 uses so you should be fine with either of these cards. The important thing to remember is that the inside of the X51 is tight and does not have much air flow. You really need a blower style card like the Founders Edition models that push the hot air out the back of the case rather than most third party fan style cards that keep the air inside.
thanks for the idea.

Bendak

Nov 8, 2020
Greece
I will keep my GPU, which is not a blower style, 1650 super btw, but I will add the liquid cooler from the R3 to my R2 and see if there is any difference this way.