test

X51 R2 - nvidia gtx 960 causing frequent black screen and system reboots

xnagr

Hi all,

I've been dealing with my X51 R2 problem for a little over a year now. My temporary solution was to simply use the default HDMI output that isn't connected to the video card, but I'm upgrading to a 4k monitor and would like the video card it for gaming. Here is exactly what happens... when using the GTX 960, the desktop will turn on and run for a couple of minutes smoothly, but the fans will speed up rapidly at some point and cause the screen to go black with "no video input" and then either gains signal or the whole system will restart. I have literally tried everything I can think of, which is why I'm posting on this forum.

Things I have tried...
Every video output from the GTX
Updating Alienware BIOS to A12
Updating all videocard drivers
swapping hdmi cables

I recently downloaded MSI Afterburner to monitor the card. The temperature seems to be fine, but the GPU Clock speed sits at 135MHz and Mem Clock sits at 405MHz (both idle), but right before the system will reboot, they both jump to well over 1000MHz. I've read every forum and I know this is SUCH a common problem with the X51 R2 but nothing is helping. All suggestions appreciated!!

xnagr

It seems that the computer will not turn off during benchmark tests (heaven benchmark), but as soon as the test is over and closed out, the monitor will cut to no signal or turn off. Like when the gtx 960 is idol is when I typically have problems

8*sectorb6

I'm surprised a 960 can do 4k, are you gaming, which games and what res are you loading?
thanks
and good luck

Salvatuon

Hi all, I have a similar problem with my Alienware X51 R2 but my graphics card is MSI GTX 1070 8GB OC and the processor is Intel I7 4790 4GHZ (None K) and 16GB of RAM. It does not matter whether it is idle or under full load all of a sudden the fans of graphics card start to spin like hell and the signal gets lost. I have to push the power button to turn it off. It is weird coz previously I was using GTX 980 which consumes more power than GTX 1070. So I do not think if it is a power supply matter. Can't figure it out!

8*sectorb6

can you use Display port..out from gpu to monitor?

and are you using dedicated Computer monitors or LCD/LeD TV style