x51 r2 questions

dfresh24

Hello everybody i'm new here and in much need of some help. So recent a game by the name of apex legends came out and i'm addicted to the game. Unfortunately my gpu is straight booty cheeks. I'm currently using a gtx 750ti and its so hard to play with everything chummed down to pixels. So i was going to upgrade to the 1060 i will include a link as to which one,after doing much reserch the only style i know that works are the blower types,but there aren't many to chose from.This was the one i was looking into https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...rds=evga+1060&qid=1550032527&s=gateway&sr=8-1. With that being said i also know i need to upgrade the psu to the 330w. Here is my concern,upon doing some research i seen a thread about the power board needing to be able to accept a 330w psu. So how can i find out if i do have the 330w power board capabilities? Also was wondering a good source for the 330w psu,the dell one is 160 bucks which is really steep at the moment.

System Specs: Alienware x51 R2
Processor: intel core i7 4790@3.60ghz
ram 16gb
64 bit os windows 10
bios-a12
hd 1tb
gpu-nvidia gforce gtx 750ti
psu-240w

Any help would be greatly appreciated

MattyB

You can grab the 330W PSU from eBay. Here in Australia I can grab one for about $60 so if you're in the US it should be even cheaper. You have the i7 so I can't see why the 330W wouldn't work. Maybe the i3 option was different.
I'm about to get a 1060 too and I had looked into the same card you linked. I'm also finding blower 1060's hard to find for a decent price. Many people have said that the temps aren't too bad with a single fan 1060. That one having a smaller design also helps.

dfresh24

You can grab the 330W PSU from eBay. Here in Australia I can grab one for about $60 so if you're in the US it should be even cheaper. You have the i7 so I can't see why the 330W wouldn't work. Maybe the i3 option was different.
I'm about to get a 1060 too and I had looked into the same card you linked. I'm also finding blower 1060's hard to find for a decent price. Many people have said that the temps aren't too bad with a single fan 1060. That one having a smaller design also helps.
Thank you Matt,the only thing that has me worried at the moment is the power board situation,as I can find zero on this for the x51 r2,id hate to drop all of this money around 300$ and not be able to enjoy it. I don’t think heat will be an issue as it’s generally cold in my room. I know I need the 330w psu,I also know that with a 330w psu for a gpu that requires a standard of 400w it can’t exceed a constant over 150watts at all. This is all that’s holding me back from being able to enjoy my pc again

MattyB

Nvidia suggest 400w but the GPU and CPU won’t need nearly that much. There’s a video online with a guy running a 1060 and his entire system is only using 180w.

dfresh24

Nvidia suggest 400w but the GPU and CPU won’t need nearly that much. There’s a video online with a guy running a 1060 and his entire system is only using 180w.
i think,but not sure if i saw that one or not,but if i'm not mistaken the card he was using was the 1060 fe,and unfortunately that dosen't help me because i don't know if a 330w will work.....i'm really starting to think i just need to order than damn thing now,and test run it for like a week,then get the gfx card....=(

Also i read somewhere that with the x51 config its best to flash the bios? ive never heard of such a thing installing a gfx card?

Last edited:

MattyB

Yeah I heard that too. I've flashed lots of BIOS' and never had a problem so that's no big deal for me. There are lots of people running 1060's in X51's with 330W PSU's so I'm pretty confident it will work without a problem. I'm going for it once I can find the right card

dfresh24

Yeah I heard that too. I've flashed lots of BIOS' and never had a problem so that's no big deal for me. There are lots of people running 1060's in X51's with 330W PSU's so I'm pretty confident it will work without a problem. I'm going for it once I can find the right card
I mean why do you need to flash the bios? I’ve never done that before ever for any graphics card I’ve installed ever,and I’ve installed several of them over the years.

MattyB

I've had to do it on some older laptops to get a newer GPU to work with a modded driver. It just has something to do with the age difference between the parts and how the mobo was originally programmed. I wish I knew more about it though. I usually just do some research and do what people suggest and cross my fingers! :p

dfresh24

Do you think I would have to flash the bios with this card cuz if so not good.....

MattyB

I couldn't say for certain but I will find out once I get myself a 1060 or maybe one of the new 1660ti cards being released later this month. Mine is an R1 so I'm expecting to have to do it.

dfresh24

Do you think the r2 may differ in that way? I’m also looking into possibly picking up a 1060 founders edition used,I’m trying to make this as easy as possible I don’t feel confident in any way about this,nor do I have faith in my x51. =[