test

x51 r2 rtx 3070 install

angrykeebler

I have a 330W X51 R2, and have been running with a GTX 1060 for a while now. I just bought this RTX 3070, which theoretically fits into the X51 R2 case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KWPDXJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The power draw doesn't look like it will be a problem given folks have had success with the 2070, and I've removed the DVD drive and have put in an SSD to reduce heat and give the case more room for air circulation.

The problem I've run into is that the slot in the mounting bracket for the graphics card in the x51 doesn't *quite* align with the slot on the card -- its off by a hair but ruins the entire thing. Has anyone else tried this/does anyone else have solutions for replacing the mounting bracket in the x51 with something else that's better designed?

Ravgov

I have a 330W X51 R2, and have been running with a GTX 1060 for a while now. I just bought this RTX 3070, which theoretically fits into the X51 R2 case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KWPDXJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The power draw doesn't look like it will be a problem given folks have had success with the 2070, and I've removed the DVD drive and have put in an SSD to reduce heat and give the case more room for air circulation.

The problem I've run into is that the slot in the mounting bracket for the graphics card in the x51 doesn't *quite* align with the slot on the card -- its off by a hair but ruins the entire thing. Has anyone else tried this/does anyone else have solutions for replacing the mounting bracket in the x51 with something else that's better designed?
hi , dont you think that x51 will hugelly bottleneck such a powerful card ?

angrykeebler

hi , dont you think that x51 will hugelly bottleneck such a powerful card ?

A couple replies here so let me clarify. I dumped this idea because yes, I did some more research and it seems like I need more power than 330W. So I am going to try and switch my x51into a new box that will also allow me to put in a new 850W PSU. Will update on how it goes. There are various other aspects of the x51 that are not ideal (DDR3 ram, CPU could be better, etc.) and May bottleneck the card so eventually I will have to replace the rest of the components as well. I bought the card with an eye toward this eventual end, am just hoping to put it off for a year or two more.