X51 R2 - Unique parts help

Parmageddon

Dec 18, 2012
wigan
Hi there,

Having a clear out at the minute and came across an X51 I purchased years ago. I wanted to get it tip-top before looking to get rid. Though in doing so i've stumbled across a few questions I'm not sure the answer to. Here felt a great place to ask.

:- When i removed the side panel today, It would appear i've already done away the GPU it came with (I thiiiink it was a 760m from memory, but honestly cant say for sure) and for life or money can't find it anywhere.... I do have a bunch of other standard cards I could use, however even though they 'fit' just fine it looks like i'm potentially missing a 'part' that keeps them all held in place nicely... and... the rear of the case looks has been left with a huuuge gap in it......photo below....what am i missing here? haha.

:- Also, when I boot the system im getting an error saying something about the RTC being reset, is it easy to get this error to stop appearing? currently cant boot.

thanks so much

alienware_x51_rear.jpg

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
@Parmageddon the RTC would be the Real Time Clock, which is powered by the CMOS battery. Since the system has been powered down for a long period, the BIOS would have lost it's settings. I'm guessing that when you powered it back on with the power adapter it recovered its settings. A lot of the time the CMOS battery would die after a long period of not being used which would result in a beep code and no boot but yours must be ok.