X51 R2 UPGRADE HELP

PHX64

Hello.

New to the forum so please be gentle, lol.

I have an X51 R2 that has served me very well for the last 4 years or so. Casual gamer with not a lot of cash to throw about.

I'm a FPS gamer and whilst it ran things such as Wolfenstein 'Old Blood' great, it's struggling a little on things like Battlefield 1. Frame rates arn;t great.

It's never been messed with apart from the addition of a Kingston 480 gb SSD.

It's the I7 4790 ( I think those numbers are correct ) with 16 gb memory ( that it came with ) and also the 750TI that it came with. Windows 8.1 and it has the 330W power supply.

Now, please excuse my ignorance as I'm not to well up on upgrades and have a few questions. If anyone can help then I would be most apreciative.

1. I have the original restore USB I made 4ish years ago but Bios doesn't seem to like it? Could it be because it's FAT32 and not NTFS? If not, Is it possible to get a duplicate from anywhere?

2. Should I bin the USB and buy Windows 10? Does AW support it on the X51 R2?

3. It has a 2TB sata drive. Can I just swap this for a 4TB when I do a fresh install?

4. Best sub £200 graphics card? TX1050TI for £140 ot TX1060 for £170? Also, what will fit? I DONT want to mod the case at all. I watched You-tube and I knowI can get a 1070 in there by removing fans, kidney's, cutting the case etc. but it's not for me.

Many thanks for any input, suggestions ( keep then simple!) and advice.

PHX64

MattyB

Staff member
I put a 1060 in my X51 R1 and it works great without any mods. It is always suggested to get the blower style card for the X51 (so a Founder Edition is usually the way to go) so the hot air is blown out of the machine. I disregarded my own advice though with my 1060. I haven't run it hard yet so I can't comment on internal temps with my 1060. I haven't seen how the newer 16xx series cards go in there but the 1060 will be a huge improvement to your 750ti.
I have Window 10 installed on my R1 without any issues. I recently reinstalled it using a USB image from the Microsoft website. If you install Windows on the SSD then you can easily change the HDD at any stage.

pandu_wii

hi there.
X51-R1 user for 5 years so I'll share my experience here ;)
-swapping dvd drive for an ssd for windows installation, keeping original 1TB HDD in place for storage

-fresh installed windows 10 through official microsoft ISO with serial keys from the back of it and activated effortlessly

-upgraded from 2nd gen i3 to 3rd gen i5 easily

-it never experiencing any issue (thermal / throttling) during light usage and heavy gaming but fan spin is audible o_O

-through few bios updates, upgraded original GT545 to several GPU generations up until GTX1060, here' some cards worth mentioning:
>original GT545 = the least powerful and the most noisy card I've ever used
>asus GT1030 = passive cooled card, dead silent at only 35w tdp
>leadtek GTX1050ti = got this one at bargain price, silent single-fan card, never had problem with it

-never been using blower style / reference card, because it was rare in my country so i don't have anything to talk about
so if you're going to upgrade, any single fan GPU will fit

Hello.

New to the forum so please be gentle, lol.

I have an X51 R2 that has served me very well for the last 4 years or so. Casual gamer with not a lot of cash to throw about.

I'm a FPS gamer and whilst it ran things such as Wolfenstein 'Old Blood' great, it's struggling a little on things like Battlefield 1. Frame rates arn;t great.

It's never been messed with apart from the addition of a Kingston 480 gb SSD.

It's the I7 4790 ( I think those numbers are correct ) with 16 gb memory ( that it came with ) and also the 750TI that it came with. Windows 8.1 and it has the 330W power supply.

Now, please excuse my ignorance as I'm not to well up on upgrades and have a few questions. If anyone can help then I would be most apreciative.

1. I have the original restore USB I made 4ish years ago but Bios doesn't seem to like it? Could it be because it's FAT32 and not NTFS? If not, Is it possible to get a duplicate from anywhere?

2. Should I bin the USB and buy Windows 10? Does AW support it on the X51 R2?

3. It has a 2TB sata drive. Can I just swap this for a 4TB when I do a fresh install?

4. Best sub £200 graphics card? TX1050TI for £140 ot TX1060 for £170? Also, what will fit? I DONT want to mod the case at all. I watched You-tube and I knowI can get a 1070 in there by removing fans, kidney's, cutting the case etc. but it's not for me.

Many thanks for any input, suggestions ( keep then simple!) and advice.

PHX64

TheAssistMan

I put a 1060 in my X51 R1 and it works great without any mods. It is always suggested to get the blower style card for the X51 (so a Founder Edition is usually the way to go) so the hot air is blown out of the machine. I disregarded my own advice though with my 1060. I haven't run it hard yet so I can't comment on internal temps with my 1060. I haven't seen how the newer 16xx series cards go in there but the 1060 will be a huge improvement to your 750ti.
I have Window 10 installed on my R1 without any issues. I recently reinstalled it using a USB image from the Microsoft website. If you install Windows on the SSD then you can easily change the HDD at any stage.
Hi there. I'm looking to buy a used ☓51 R2 because I like how it looks and I have already have a 1060 6gb, but the open air two fan version (it's slightly under 9 inches) long. Will this fit in the case? The ☓51 I was looking at is the one with the 330w power supply

MattyB

Staff member
A 9 inch card should fit easily. Lots of people don't seem to have an issue with the fan cards in the X51 but there are a lot of other who do not recommend it.

TheAssistMan

A 9 inch card should fit easily. Lots of people don't seem to have an issue with the fan cards in the X51 but there are a lot of other who do not recommend it.
Thank you for the response. I will let everyone know how it goes once I have done it.

8*sectorb6

AMD are releasing new GPU SOON
Blower style.
power efficient
waiting to see size..
GL

I have RX 470 in mine
I put a RX 550 single non blower card in my wifes r2
The rx 550 doesn't even need l power connectors pci powered Very low heat